I like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Perry

TVWBB Guru
I got my WSM today, and now I understand why some dont like the water pan. But I like everything else, and I purchased a 2 pack of boston butts to try out friday night!
Thanks for all of your help.
DP

I used to be the same way about the water pan. Of late, however, I've changed my mind. I have found that it's easier to foil line the WSM pan. I've also gotten to the point where I just let the pan run out of water toward the end of the cook. It makes for much easier clean up and it's doesn't appear to have any significant effect on the temps. I haven't been using my big water pan at all.

It seems to me that it would be fairly easy to knock the water pan into the coals. But I havent even cooked with it, so how in the world do I know anyhow.
DP

DP

I've had an used my WSM (same one) for more than 10 years and have never had the Weber water pan fall into the coals. It is true that the fit doesn't seem that secure because of the lip not overlapping the brackets. However, if you carefully position it on the bracket, pour your water (if you're using it) slowly into the center of the pan and don't try to move the center section during a cook, I don't believe you'll have a problem. I bought a larger Brinkman charcoal pan to use on longer cooks because of the volume. I now use sand, primarily, and use the Weber pan.

Also, put the pan in the middle section, install the middle section and then pour in the water.

The Weber pan is made of high quality, heavy material and I don't see it as a problem if you pay attention to what you're doing.

Just my thoughts. You have a great cooker - enjoy it !

Paul

I use sand in my wsm pan and of course I haven't had it fall into the coals. However, I've had it happen before where the pan will fall through while I'm getting things ready (cooker section removed from charcoal bowl). I don't know why someone hasn't seriously address this issue since it seems like a hazard. It is better than the brinkmann as far as the fit.

I have found the crux of the problem with the WSM water pan is that it will flex and that caused it to slip through the catch bolts.

If you put the pan into place in the middle section then, place the bottom grate into place over it, that will be enough to keep the water pan from racking. Then fill the water pan with water through the bottom grate. You pretty much will never have a pan fall through the middle section then.

Generally ill put the middle section with empty water pan, bottom grate into place over ready charcoal bowl. Pour in water, place meat on bottom, assemble top grate, meat, thermo's and lid. Never a problem with WSM pan falling into fire.

Like so many other things, by exercising some care and caution, you shouldn't have a problem. I have not yet tried sand, but plan to for my next cook. Of course, you can always get a BBQ Guru and not have to use either water or sand.

I use the Weber pan with water.
I always pour the water in last
in the assembly process using a
empty 2 liter soda bottle through
the door.
Never had a problem.

I like to use water. I have had very little problem with my pan. Once I droped the pan into the coals, but I was trying to clean up after a smoke and it was dark. I thought I had a hold of the grill and really had a grip on both grill and pan. I was lucky, pan was not full and spilled about half the water into the bottom. Also no burns and no damage to the WSM. I am under the impression that sand does not add moisture to the heat and can reach higher temps than water. So Ima gonna stick to water at this time. I have not done any overnight smokes yet, I will get the brinkman pan when I do (or maybe I will try sand then). I luv my WSM. Best smoker I have ever owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back