I know it's Late, but here goes: Emergency!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greets!,

I've been a long time lurker and I can say that what I've learned from this forum and of course from TVWB has been invaluable. Matter of fact, I'm doing my 3rd Pork Butt for tomorrow night (these no water, yellow mustard recipe from TVWB)

Here's the problem: While I'm prepping them for my morning cook, I discovered after removing the cryovac that they're still pretty frozen. (never mind I ordered them on tuesday and told my meat supplier I was cooking on Saturday).

I did a forum search already (I used "thaw" as my search parameter and read em all) and from what I've read it's going to take a day per pound in the refridgerator. I've got two 9 pounders here! (with bone) and I'm doing the food for a birthday party.

I know I can't leave them out and the microwave is worse than letting the dog lick it thaw. Do I get some monster Ziplock bags and soak in water or running water? for how long?

Does anyone have any advice?!? or am I doomed to serving sausages? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Thanks,
Bryan Mannos

You might try to thaw it the same way you do a frozen turkey. Put the butts in a water proof bag and soak them in a cold tub of water, changing the water every half hour. It might take a few hours, but don't try to heat them in anyway that's a no no.

Thanks Tony, I think you're right. Guess I better make it to the store for some bags, it's not getting any earlier....

-Bryan

If you are going to the store, freeze 'em and buy some fresh ones to cook.

Epilogue: I did get to the store, I got some large bags and the fixings for Tangy Potato Salad from the Smoke & Spice Recipe book. While I babysitted the water from the 2 sinks each holding a 9# butt, changing them every 30 minutes, I took my time chopping & cutting & boiling for the salad, which turned out very well. the Butts were finally thawed and they got on the WSM at 9am (yea, up all night). Turned & basted on the halves (5 hour, 2.5 hour, 1.25 hour, etc) with martinellis 2parts, & Jim Bean 1part in a spray bottle. I used to use only martinellis, but thought I'd give the whisky a shot. Loved it!, Still mostly sweets dark bits, but with a hint of whisky someting... Both butts came off a little after 8pm, which was perfect timing for the party.

I'll order from this supplier again because of their quality, but they're gonnna get an earful from me on monday when they open.

Thanks for suggestions & advice,
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back