I just got a WSM for $12.50!

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Hi, my name is Phil and I think I posted here once last year, when I was intitially researching smokers. Well, I got busy with school and other things and haven't really thought about bbq for the last year. Anyway, today I had to go to salvation army to drop some old clothes off. And what did I see but a beautiful Wsm. It's in great condition, and according to the lettering on the dampers (M) it was made in 1990. I'm so excited, I'm in school right now and couldn't afford a new one...but now I'm ready to 'que.

There are two problems, however. It is missing the water bowl and the bottom food grate. I've been looking for pics on the internet of the water bowl IN the smoker, but haven't found any.
Does it hang off of the lower grate? Also, the door doesn't exactly fit *exactly* snug (bent a little). Is this normal, or should I bend it to make it fit tighter?

Thanks!

Phil

The door is fixable-- see the article on the Tips & Mods section of the website proper for techniques. The lower grate you will need to order from Weber for an exact replacement-- there are no other Weber grills that use it, so you won't find it at Home Depot. If you choose to go that route, you can order a water pan at the same time-- their shipping rates are very reasonable. Alternately, you could purchase a Brinkmann replacement charcoal pan, which will both fit and give you greater capacity-- it can be found for as little as $4 at Academy Sports & Outdoor stores, if there is one near you. In either case, the water pan rests on the lower flanges just below the lower cooking grate.

Phil,

Way to go! That is awesome. When you cook up your first batch of Q make sure you post pics here so we can share in your joy (albeit vicariously through you!
icon_biggrin.gif
).

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Schaeffer:
Remember it is not old, it's just seasoned! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could say the same about me!

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that the smoker is in great shape...poor thing probably sat in the garage since 1991. There is a little dent near the access door, but nothing my hammer and a little elbow grease couldn't fix.

Re: the Brinkman charcoal pan--am I understanding you guys correctly that I should use it as a substitute for the weber water pan? I'm sure that is what you meant...but...will having the larger (if it is) water pan affect cooking times and temperatures significantly? I plan to follow most of the cooking methods on this site, and wouldn't want for times and/or vent settings to be off by too much.

I already looked at home depot for the lower cooking grate...found none that would fit. Called Weber and they said they'd replace it for $8.30...the water pan was $24.00. Not bad prices I don't think.

I'm surprised by the $24 figure-- seems excessive. Yes, the Brinkmann charcoal pan will fit and provide roughly double the heatsink mass that the original Weber water pan will, meaning a longer time between refills. If you're in the SE USA, Academy will have it in stock.

You can order a Brinkman charcoal pan from Bass Pro Shop for $4 (and substitute it as a waterpan in the WSM). They were so cheap, I bought 2. They work great .. I rarely have to refill the water unless I have a really long cook. Here's the link:
Brinkman Water Pan

Thanks Phil D...Brinkman pan has been ordered from BPS!

Now I have to figure out what my first 'Q will be...and to be honest I'm leaning towards a pork butt. I know some people will say I should go ribs, but if I have a lot of people over I think baby backs might be a little hard on the pocketbook if you know what I mean. Better go with food for the masses, and save the ribs for special 'cashuns.

Hopefully the brinkman pan and the lower cooking grate will be here by next weekend.

Your welcome and I forgot to congratulate you on your great find! Actually, I had to do a search on this BB as I learned of the deal here and it was merely passed on. I suspect you'll get your pan by midweek as mine arrive really quickly.

Anyway, the butt is an excellent choice because it is very forgiving (temperature wise) as a newbie. But, you'll want to be patient as it does take considerably longer than ribs. I see you are in Northern CA. I'm near the Sacramento area .. how about you?

Enjoy your new find and I hope your first Q is as successful as mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil D:
I see you are in Northern CA. I'm near the Sacramento area .. how about you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in Woodland...you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil D:
I see you are in Northern CA. I'm near the Sacramento area .. how about you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in Woodland...you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW! you're near my pheasant hunting area. I actually live on the opposite side of town in Elk Grove.

Phil.

It IS the Brinkmann Charcoal pan you want!! $24 is way too much to pay. I just ordered a couple from Bass Pro Shop for $4.oo/ea, less than $12 with shipping.

The charcoal pan will fit on the flanges right where the Weber pan goes and offers you more than double the capacity. I use sand in the pan but when I used water I rarely if ever had to replenish it during a cook.

WOW! you're near my pheasant hunting area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,

Where do you hunt pheasants around here? Most of the public (and private) land around here is pretty sketchy, although there are some good areas. I've been a member of some clubs in the past that release them, that's what we're doing now.
I've hunted ducks over in the davis refuge ("Sacramento" refuge? To us it's Davis). There are a TON of pheasants there, but I'm sure there will be an equal amount of people opening day.

I have a friend whose family owns the property next to the Walgreens distribution center. The property is part of the flood zone, so, they have lots of ducks, too. But, I don't hunt duck, so, I've never been.

I was just at the local Tru-Value store and saw a Weber charcoal grate that looks like it would fit my WMS. It was mis-labeled as being 22 inches, but it was in the 18 inch range. If you have one near by, you might want to check it out.

Loren

Loren,
Hmmm, that's a good point you bring up and I don't know if it would fit. Maybe someone else can answer that.

I measured my top rack and it is 17 1/2 inches in diameter. The bottom rack is 17 inches in diameter. It is possible the rack from the 18" kettle might fit. Does anyone else know for certain?

Weber labels their charcoal grates according to the size of the kettle, not the grate size, so a 22-1/2" kettle's grate is about 18". It would not be suitable, however, as a cooking grate in a WSM.

Back