I have yet to see this discussed but I would bet anything that it has.....plastic end cap removal??

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Quick hitter ......
I just started tinkering on an old schooler.....I am terrible with the Model numbers but I believe it is a modern version of a 1000 but considered a Silver B of sorts. I think I have a pic.....will include. Anywho, the previous owner snapped the right side utensil holder plastic end cap off and I need to replace it. As I was mentioning to Bruce in another thread recently to this date I have yet to remove a plastic end cap because I think they are brittle and will break. When I do my resto's I do not take the frame apart I just strip the grill down to the frame so its easier to paint.

So now I can no longer say I havent removed one cause I gave it a whirl today on a parts frame and sure enough snapped the friggin thing :(
I could see a drain slit or some type of place to put a screw driver underneath but did not use that. I tried hitting a scrap piece of wood with a hammer against the end cap to get it moving...I got one side started then moved to the other side but eventually one side snapped off and the other came out clean.

As usual I am very long winded......please educate me on best practices to remove the plastic end caps....Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 20200831_162542.jpg
    20200831_162542.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 19
Ps......yes I see that it says Silver right on the handle.....so I guess this is one of the first generations of a Silver B?

Yes, that looks like an early 2000's Silver B. Anyway, yes, that has been discussed on this forum before. It is a common problem. I usually use the method that you used with a piece of wood and a hammer. But some just won't budge due to rust and other other factors inside the grill frame. It seems only one of the handles is usually bad. The other one typically comes off easy. So, what I have done with good success is to remove the opposite end cap and stick a long piece of wood down the frame and use it to pound the handle out that way. A broom handle usually works well. Just make sure you push in those catches on the bottom of the frame where the little tabs clip on before you try removing the handles.

Ok I dont feel so bad then. I know I was careful and didnt just go wild with a hammer. Can you describe the catches and what you mean by pushing them in first. I looked at that area but I couldnt see what good pushing a screwdriver in the slot would do. Is it that the plastic piece has a lil catch that falls into that slot? So when u push up with a screw driver you release the tab so it can slide out? If so do u have to be pushing up on the tab while somehow hitting it with a wood block at the same time?
Thanks!!!

Ok I dont feel so bad then. I know I was careful and didnt just go wild with a hammer. Can you describe the catches and what you mean by pushing them in first. I looked at that area but I couldnt see what good pushing a screwdriver in the slot would do. Is it that the plastic piece has a lil catch that falls into that slot? So when u push up with a screw driver you release the tab so it can slide out? Yes If so do u have to be pushing up on the tab while somehow hitting it with a wood block at the same time? Yes
Thanks!!!

Very common problem. I have recycled every known curse word many times, and invented a few news fighting these things. Do as Bruce suggested, and if you have the time, give it a good dousing of lubricant inside the frame a couple of days prior, and leave the frame standing on end to allow it to drain down and help free it up. Takes a little longer, but it keeps my neighbors from peeking out the window wondering what I am yelling about.

Ha! ya I wasnt too pleased when I broke my one and only spare white right side end cap :( ...I figured I cant avoid end caps forever so I finally got my feet wet. As it turns out I was right to avoid them...but I will use your tips and get a system going.
Thanks!

I might be able to spare one if you can't find one elsewhere. PM me if interested.

Thanks guys.....I appreciate the hospitality........I will scoop from another freebie. They are poppin up on curbs every week around here. I do have a frame with black end caps so its possible that I could make the switch. Funny I already know how the switch would go.....I would start by removing the one good grey end cap from my resto grill and breaking it in the process. Then I would be desperate to reclaim 2 black end caps from my parts frame. The first one would come off with ease...I would start to get cocky and confident then snap the second one right off leaving me with a pile of broken plastic end caps.

LOL, I think only one side on the grills typically is hard to remove. I can't remember which side it is. But yah, those black handles are great. So much better than those plain old drab gray ones. If you are having issues getting them off, use the broom stick method I mentioned above. And as someone else recommended, it helps to treat them with a good penetrating oil a few times, a day or two prior.
Great to hear you are seeing a lot of cast off grills right now. They are non-existent around me and will be until about March now.
Good luck.

Ya a nice 3 burner Silver B with a free set of flavor bars still in the box popped up today. This is how bad Weberitis can be.....I was logged into a zoom funeral and the guy responded from Facebook...he said the grill is all yours and u have 15 min to reply. I wanted it sooooo bad but just couldnt do that Uncle Allen......not cool. The guy passed me up and someone else scored the Silver. Weberitis is one tough disease :(

Back