I gotta learn how to smoke

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
Just started smoking on a ECB for a thankgiving turkey a few month ago. Found this site , and got wsm. Ive done 3 turkeys so far, and all turned out great. pork spares are turning out dark & greasy (not so great, but OK). having a hard time with salmon. Like an idiot, I heard the word brine, and soaked some salmon in saltwater. Turned out like paist. I tried, and am now using royal oak lump, this is great, just seemed a little light in weight. Alway use a chimney starter.
Smoking meat has turned out to be an infacuation, and find myself planning the next session on Monday for the next week end.
Does anyone no of a good site to learn from for an amature like me. This site is great. But I just gotta know. I see a lot of posts from veterans of this art. Any advise? Trial and error are a bit of a b%$ch.

IMO, this is the best site for anyone to learn. Go up to the tabs "cooking" and "tips and Mods", read the info Chris has set up. If you read through that and still have questions, ask away and you will have answers to help. We all started as newbies at one time!
icon_wink.gif

As fars as your spares, what temp and how long did you cook 'em? Did you foil?

Click on the tab that says Cooking on the top of this page and read through a few of the recipes you find there. Pick two and peruse them--don't just skim them--ribs and salmon would be a good place to start since you've done those already and haven't been as pleased as you'd have liked. Follow the recipes and cooking instructions as closely as possible. If during the reading or the cooking preparations you have questions ask them here. Many people here have cooked those exact recipes many times and can help you. You won't find a better or more informative site on the WSM than this one.

It sounds like you have a lot of enthusiasm--a good thing--but it might be helpful if you channel that energy into perfecting your technique and understanding of the WSM by focusing on just one or two items for the moment. You'll learn more and you'll be more able to apply that learning in other areas as you expand your food options.

Two words for ya...

Pork Butt!

Sounds like you started similarly to me, and just kind of threw yourself into it. I did that, but I also spent many hours reading this site, not because I had to, but mainly because I found it so interesting (and had nothing else to do at work). Once I got the WSM, I went for the allnight brisket smoke from the cooking pages here. Since then I have come along way, and haven't stopped reading here. Pork Butts are one of the more forgiving pieces of meat to smoke and the outcome is REALLY GOOD. You may want to give it a shot. I've done the mustard slather recipe in the cooking section many times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmfast:... pork spares are turning out dark & greasy (not so great, but OK). ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That shouldn't be happening with your spares. Check the mainpage, go to cooking, then pork and locate spare ribs. Much good info is available there.

"Dark and greasey"... well, the color could come from the amount of smokewood used, letting pit temps get too high or leaving the spares on too long. I use a light flavored wood like pecan or apple, maybe 3 chunks but often only 2; keep lid temp on pit around 250; cook about 4 to 4 1/2 hours, continue cooking with individual slabs wrapped tightly in HD foil for 30 minutes, unwrap and continue cooking till a toothpick slides easily between the bones. This makes for a 5 to 6 hour cook.

As to "greasey", be sure you prep the spares correctly as referenced in the site above. Then cook within the proper temp range, slowly, and the fat should render. If they're still too greasey for your taste, maybe you should try loin backs (baby backs) which have less fat content.

HTH on the spares. Welcome to the world of the WSM - you got the best !

Paul

Yes if you follow those directions above you will have folks at your house askin when your openning a Q place?

Fast,

We all had to start somewhere, this site is the best place you will find. By reading lots of the posts, recipes, etc. you will save yourself the time of asking questions that have been asked by all of us. Even if you ask again, all the people on this board are awesome, and love cooking just like you so they happily answer your questions. Not that it is any consolation, but I have been smoking for over a year now, and I am still trying to improve most of my recipes. Somehow, there is always something that you will find that would make your own BBQ a little better. The trial and error is part of the joy of smoking. Grab a 6-pack (or 12) relax and enjoy yourself. Getting there is half the fun.

Smoke on

hunter

Back