I got it! Maverick ET-732

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
My back-ordered ET-732 finally arrived! My wife pre-ordered it from yardandpool.com for $10 off list on 11/15. It was just finally released and came two days ago. I haven't had a chance to cook with it yet (just did a multi-meat smoke last Sunday), but it works and I can say a little about it. But I probably won't use it for another week or so.

Since I didn't have the ET-73, the operation and instructions took a little bit to understand, but after playing with it a while, everything appears to work as advertised including both thermometer functions and both timer modes (count up and count down) and, having figured it out, the operation is fairly straight forward.

To check the remote receiver, I set the transmitter (the one with the probes) on my deck next to the grill and smoker, then walked out to the far side of my workshop (about 130 feet and on the opposite side of the house) with no reception problems. Then I walked out to the far ends of my deer-fenced property (roughly 250 feet away) and had no reception problem despite the many large trees that potentially could cause interference. On my way to the opposite end of the fencing, the remote DID lose the signal when about 100 feet away from my cook area (I have no idea why). The alarm beeped about 6 or 7 times and then the signal was picked up again at the spot it was lost and held steady until I returned to the house after getting to the other fence extreme.

So through a complete test run, the new ET-732 is working basically as expected (despite the brief drop of the signal). The extremes I tested are all I ever expect from it (other than a full cook test).

I did find that Maverick has provided a small clip to hold the "barbecue" (cooker) probe up off the cooker grates. Don't know if the ET-73 had that, but "nice" -- hopefully eliminates the need for a potato.

The two minor negatives I found are that:
1) The probe wires are still too short -- a barely adequate 30 inches. Maverick should have recognized by now that the probe wires need to be long enough to allow some slack so the transmitter can be comfortably separated from the cooker and not be pulled off whatever it sits on.
2) The rain-proof transmitter requires removal of two small Phillips head screws to change it's batteries. I assume that's because of the water tight case, but again I would think that Maverick would have learned and provided a means to change batteries that didn't require chasing down a small screwdriver.

(BTW, all this testing was done with the batteries provided. I have NO expectations of those batteries and will replace them the first time I experience any difficulties.)

I'll add another report here after I have a chance to cook with it (my wife wants some NC barbeque pulled pork, so Boston butt coming soon).

Rich

I got the ET-732 for Christmas and have already used it many times on the Performer, running the wires under the lid. I have found it to be everything you said. It is much improved over the previous version.

I did run into the first "problem" with it today. I used it for the first time on the WSM. I previously owned the ET-73 and installed the eyelet assemblies from BBQ Guru to run the probes through the WSM wall. The ET-732 has thicker wires and where the probes are crimped around the wires it is much thicker than the previous version. They won't fit through my eyelets. Not a huge deal. Running the wires under the lid works fine but I liked being able to use the eyelets. Not a huge complaint.

Also, the ET-73 probes plugged into the ET-732 don't give the correct readings. They fit in the plug but are not compatible.

Ah, thanks for the comment about the ET-73 probes, Don. I have another brand probe thermometer and am planning to test the probe with the ET-732, but I figured they wouldn't be compatible. If even the older Maverick isn't compatible...

You may want to do a search on eyelets and get overwhelmed by the possibilities. There's a number of people (including me) who have drilled holes and used ceiling lamp grommets to make eyelets as JIRodriquez shows in this thread http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...9052/m/945107275/p/1 . The hole is about 3/8" and has no problem passing the probes. In my case, I also added the cover that screws onto the probe port to be able to close it when not in use.

Sure you can just run the probe wires under the lid, but I'm convinced that wear and tear is going to cause a problem at some point. Also, using probe ports definitely results in less smoke leakage (probably not an issue, but...).

If you do this mod, be sure that your two probe ports are each ABOVE where the grate will sit. Not a big deal, but it would be a tad easier if I didn't have to run my wire around the upper grate which sits a little higher than the lower with respect to its bolt.

Also, with this mod, you can probably get by with only one port midway between the grates -- it's large enough to handle two wires. But with two ports, I can definitely manage two meat probes along with the cooker probe.

Rich

I just received mine and I'm using it, only the grate probe ( I'm cooking ribs ).

The dome thermometer on my 18.5 was reading at least 75F low
icon_frown.gif

I guess my HHB's were *really* HH...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Mc.:
I just received mine and I'm using it, only the grate probe ( I'm cooking ribs ).

The dome thermometer on my 18.5 was reading at least 75F low
icon_frown.gif

I guess my HHB's were *really* HH... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, was the difference fairly constant? I would expect that as temps stabilize over hours they would get closer.

Rich

It seems like it so far. I'm 2 hrs. 20 minutes into the cook, and the dome temp reads 190F while the Maverick reads 255F.

I checked the WSM exhaust with a Thermapen ( also new for me this cook ) and it agreed fairly well with the Maverick.

This is really good to know actually, just kind of surprising.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
John, was the difference fairly constant? I would expect that as temps stabilize over hours they would get closer.

Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, good to know. And worth calling Weber to replace that thermometer. Nice to know and you may always have other thermometers, but I would want the lid thermometer to be accurate when...

I guess, first of all, you should remove the lid thermometer and check it in a pot of boiling water. If it reads near 212*, then you have a true "good to know". If it's off, it supports your call to Weber.

Rich

Good advice Rich, thanks, I hadn't thought of contacting them for a replacement.

I also learned just now that a foiled brisket makes it impossible to get a sane reading anywhere on the grate. I moved the grate probe from the grate to the exhaust, with a plug of aluminum foil holding it in there, and all is well.

Edit. Another revelation is that I can pretty easily do a high heat cook with just a dry water pan and vents wide open. Before I had to get pretty strenuous to reach 350 - door propping, lid propping. But I can definitely make my cooker go to 11
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
I got the ET-732 for Christmas and have already used it many times on the Performer, running the wires under the lid. I have found it to be everything you said. It is much improved over the previous version.

I did run into the first "problem" with it today. I used it for the first time on the WSM. I previously owned the ET-73 and installed the eyelet assemblies from BBQ Guru to run the probes through the WSM wall. The ET-732 has thicker wires and where the probes are crimped around the wires it is much thicker than the previous version. They won't fit through my eyelets. Not a huge deal. Running the wires under the lid works fine but I liked being able to use the eyelets. Not a huge complaint.

Also, the ET-73 probes plugged into the ET-732 don't give the correct readings. They fit in the plug but are not compatible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don - So, you are not able to fit either ET-732 probes through the BBQ G eyelet? Kinda nice that you can fit both ET-73 meat / smoker probes through the same eyelet.

I'm jealous. I'm smoking two butts for my granddaughter's school this week, and just have my old ET, so it won't wake me up if something goes wrong. My local store says they won;t be up in the North till Spring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
I'm jealous. I'm smoking two butts for my granddaughter's school this week, and just have my old ET, so it won't wake me up if something goes wrong. My local store says they won;t be up in the North till Spring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what the internet is for, Mike. Lots of sites have them.

Rich

I like my old ET-73, but have always felt it had range issues as well as disconnect issues. Seems the new ET-732 unit has solved this situation.

However, I really want my probes to go thru the guru eyelets I have installed, Do you think opening up the eyelets with a drill bit will allow the probes to pass?

I always ship from the mighty US of A, especially with our dollar being so strong.
Key is only ship via USPS and never use UPS.

On something only valued @ $60 you should not pay any duties or taxes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
The issue is shipping to Canada. First some places don't do it, and if they do there ar duties and taxes. It's a royal PIA. But, I'll look into it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to the Maverick website and send them an email asking where you can get it locally.

Rich

Back