I found something else I am addicted to

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
Corned beef/pastromi

I bought one of those corned beef brisket that Sams and Wally world have back in January. Since it was such a small brisket I planned on a fairly short cook. I took it off at 165 and it was like shoe leather. I made no attempts to save it, just pitched it.

Well this past week I decided to give it another shot with the goal being 180 degrees. With the exception of me not getting up once to check on it and finding it chuggin along at 180 degrees. It just ended up taking longer. I got it to 185 and pulled, foiled and let set for couple of hours.

I cooked some sour kraut for ruben sammies. I pulled it out to start slicing and man my mouth started watering. I had a flashback of when I had my first ruben. A little deli on the south side of cleveland. I remember that lady pulled the lid off of this roaster and this steam cloud went straight up. About 20 seconds later I take in deep breath and I say, wow! what is that? She said corned beef for rubens. Best sandwich I ever ate in my life.

Still is. But let me tell you this smoked corned beef gave it a run for its money. A close second. I think the recipe for the rub was from stogie. It was killer. I bought another one this afternoon. The bread I got was good but I bought an off brand thousand islad and that may be holding it back a little.

Just wanted to say thanks for the posts on the corned beef. It got me to try again.

Jeff,

I too have had the best ruben sandwich ever at some little joint in Cleveland. It was downtown, just off off of Euclid. Can't rememeber the name, but the sandwich is etched in my brain.

I'll have to give this smoked corned beef a try.

The one I am talking about is on 151st street or is it 152nd street. I think it is the first exit north of snow ave on I-71. Anyhow it is about a half mile east of I-71 called the west side deli. It was nothin to look at but the rubens were awesome!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe McManus:
Jeff,

I too have had the best ruben sandwich ever at some little joint in Cleveland. It was downtown, just off off of Euclid. Can't rememeber the name, but the sandwich is etched in my brain.

I'll have to give this smoked corned beef a try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe, it's "Slyman's Deli" on St. Clair Avenue...THE BEST for sure!!
icon_biggrin.gif

It's good stuff. I've read people pulling it off the smoker at 165* and it was tough. Since it's only a brisket I cooked it just like all the rest of my briskets. Foil at 165* finish cooking at 190*. Tender and moist.

I used a rub that was posted by kevin taylor.here

Actually I didn't have any corriander seeds or whole peppercorns. I used the ground version of both spices. I just cut back the amount I used. I also took the temp to 185.

Back