I don't like frozen BBQ. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas Bjornerback

TVWBB Member
Hi all y'all!

How come I love BBQ straight from the WSM, but I can't really enjoy it after it has been frozen?

I don't own a vacuum sealer, but I try to cool the meat slowly, then put it in the fridge and finally in good quality plastic bags in the freezer (I even have a few American Ziploc bags my parents brought here to Sweden).

It kind of tastes "too much" smoke, even though it was perfect coming from the WSM!

My meatloaf (I made five big ones) kind of tastes too much of everything (spices etc). I've thrown away a few chickens that I couldn't eat. - They tasted like cigarette after a tour in the freezer...

Please give me some advice on the matter!

I love my WSM and it would be nice to be able to eat any remaining meat for lunch at work (it works splendid for a few days after the smoke, when I have meat that have only been in the fridge, not the freezer)!

/Tomas
ps. For how long can I store BBQed meat in the fridge? Meatloaf?

You might be giving the meat too much smoke.

I have the opposite problem, when it comes off the WSM, it tastes okay, but not very smoky. Then the next day or when I take it from the freezer, it tastes great.

Once I made a "party mix" - cereals and nuts, etc. and smoked it in the WSM. It tasted okay, but a little too smoky. I kept eating it anyway. Later I felt like I had smoked a pack of cigarettes. It was too much smoke.

Meatloaf, I don't know. But other "solid" meats, I've had in the fridge for a week after BBQing with no ill taste or effects. Once even a little longer.

After I've been around the WSM for a long cook, I get a little "smoke fatigue" and can't taste the smoke when the meat is ready. The next day, I can taste it fine (and like John, I like it better the next day).

John's probably right -- back off of the smoke a bit. It may not be enough taste for you the first day, but later it'll taste great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You might be giving the meat too much smoke. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with John about maybe too much smoke.

For food seems to "mature", if you will while it is in the fridge or freezer. What I mean by that is it tends to gain a more intense flavor. You should not have an overwhelming smoke flavor whether it is fresh or frozen. But you may be adding just a bit too much smoke to begin with, and then once you freeze it, it "matures" and becomes a bit too concentrated. Try using just a bit less wood on your next cook and see how it turns out. Good luck!!

I think most will agree, meatloaf absorbs any and all smoke. It requires the least amount of wood. Start with no wood or one or two pieces.

A little of topic, but when I smoke a chicken or turkey, the next day it goes into a pot for soup, Man does that ever smell wonderful, the next day for just about any smoked food is Ok with me!

Cheers

I did my first meatloaf this past Sunday. I used 2 pieces of hickory about 3" in diameter. Smoke was perfect for my taste (I'm not a heavy smoke person, just like to know it was smoked). I had some of the leftovers today (Thursday) and they are fine. I'm going to be using the rest as a topping on pizza tomorrow night.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back