I Been Cooking Today!

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Man, do I love being on the Atkins diet! I can have meat, meat, meat, oh and I can't forget - meat! :lol: :lol:

I had 3 turkey legs, 12 boneless chicken thighs and 6 "poke-chops" that I wanted to cook up and have ready for meals for the rest of the week. It was all very tasty and my daughter wuz munchin'! 8)

Here are some pics of my Midweek Cook

Tony

Tony,

You take some of the best pics on TVWB.

I'm wondering...how are you cooking those turkey legs? What temp/rub/brine etc? The legs in your pics always have a great looking skin and bark on them, and I can never get that. Do you use smoke wood with them too?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
Tony,

You take some of the best pics on TVWB.

I'm wondering...how are you cooking those turkey legs? What temp/rub/brine etc? The legs in your pics always have a great looking skin and bark on them, and I can never get that. Do you use smoke wood with them too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,

Thanks for the encouragement! Ok, generally I either inject with an apple juice and honey mix - really good, or I do an apple-based brine - really, really, really good!
icon_smile.gif

I did not do either this time and they still came out great. I just rubbed them down real good and put them on the smoker with a good dose of hickory chunks. I smoked them (indirect) for 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 265*. Man, the skin gets cripsy with a nice bark and the flavor is off the hook!

Even though I used my Chargriller tonight, it works for me the same on my WSM.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
Originally posted by Phil R.:
Tony,

I smoked them (indirect) for 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 265*. Man, the skin gets cripsy
Tony </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You get crispy skin cooking at 265?? You mean 365, right?

Well, not crispy but not rubbery either. You can take a clean bite out of it. I would have to go "Alton Brown" to find out why that happens for me but it does. It might have something to do with the indirect cooking. And when I use my WSM I don't use water so the heat is fairly dry. Looks like I will have to investigate this one.

Tony; the food looks great!
But about that Atkins diet, it can do
much more harm to you than good. Turkey legs are one of my favorites.

At 265, how long do you leave them on? I can never get bark at that temp unless I leave something in for a long time, say 5-6 hrs. And bark is what I'm lookin' for! Maybe I'm not using enough rub?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob H.:
Tony; the food looks great!
But about that Atkins diet, it can do
much more harm to you than good. Turkey legs are one of my favorites. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bob,

Well, I think Atkins is ok for me because I don't plan to be on it for life. When I reach my goal weight and get my blood pressure under control without medications (doing this successfully now) I plan to convert to a more regular diet.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
At 265, how long do you leave them on? I can never get bark at that temp unless I leave something in for a long time, say 5-6 hrs. And bark is what I'm lookin' for! Maybe I'm not using enough rub? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, that I think about it, there are a couple factors, 1) I always do chicken and turkey legs on my Chargriller cooking indirect in the main cooking chamber. It has cast iron grates and I let it get very hot before I put anything on - say 350*-400*. Then the temp backs down to about 265* for closer to 3 hours maybe 4 hours depending on the size of the meat. So, the grill is very hot and cast iron grates are sizzling. 2) I cooked these turkey legs closer to the chimney. You can see in the picture that they are on the closer to the chimney. So, I think the chamber temp overall is 265* but I think closer to the chimney is a bit hotter because the heat and smoke is escaping. Oh yeah and 3) I rub the legs with olive oil and then with lots of rub - not just sprinkled. That may have alot to do with the firmness of the skin and the nice bark too.

So, I think the cast iron and the indirect grilling rather than smoking is a big factor. I found this to be true with chicken too. I have not tried this yet, but I am going to cook my next batch of chicken on the WSM without the water pan in at all. Currently, I use the water pan with nothing in it, just wrapped with heavy duty foil, but for chicken I think I will try removing the pan altogether and cook the chicken on the top rack. I'll bet I get the same results as I do with the chargriller. If so, then I wont have to take my chargriller to comps with me.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Lopa:
Tony
On the Char-Giller do you have the fire box and if so do you use it much ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jay,

Yes I have the SFB and I use it all the time! I primarily do my ribs on the CG and they always turn out great. I don't have any mods to the smoker either - it works great as it is without physical mods.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob A.:
Tony, I thought that was you. Food looks just as good on this board too.

Rob aka T-Rex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rob, yep this is my other mother site. Barbecue Bible and TVWB have been the primary sources of all my Q'n skills - such as they are!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back