Hypothetical Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Amidei

Is it possible to extinguise the fire in a WSM once it is lit (coals grey, wood charred) by closing all the vents (or something like that)? I don't want to do this and I haven't yet, but it is a fear of mine that I will be in the middle of a smoke and the fire will go out leaving me with the only the oven to finish.

If it did happen, what would you recommend to get the fire back up and going? Relight another chimney or something like that?

Thanks from a relative beginner.

The only way your fire should go out in the WSM is if you close ALL of the vents, including the top one. This shouldn't happen since you should leave the top vent open while cooking. As long as you have enough charcoal to begin with you shouldn't have any problems.
Note: this doesn't take into account unforseen problems like you knocking over the water pan onto the coals, etc.

Thanks for the help jeff. I figured the top vent was the answer since every recipe and instruction calls for it to the fully open during the cook.

I am just amazed at the WSM. After the well-publisized "hot" first-smoke, the thing just seems to dial in at between 225-230 (sitting pretty at 227 right now). A design masterpiece!

Steve,

If it went out completely you would need to start from the beginning.

May I suggest the Minion Method. It will give you extended cook times(if needed) and will allow you to control the pit temp on the way up instead of trying to bring it down. Works like a champ...did a 16 hr cook on Saturday and it held temp all the way through and I still had some reuseable fuel after I extinguished the fire.

I might also suggest putting sand in the water pan. You can research both suggestions on this sight and use that info to make a decision that is right for you!

Good Q'in to ya!!

Greg,

I AM going to use the Minion method when I do my first pork butt (overnight). I just finished two slabs of baby backs using the "competition ribs" recipe which was posted on one of the threads. Everything about the ribs was AWESOME (much better than the BRITU - IMHO). I think the 3 stage competition recipe posted by Chris G. is the reason I bought the WSM - the rub, the juice mix in the foiling, the carmelizing of the BBQ sauce just above the hot coals - oh my gosh!! I had a little trouble handling the slabs as I took them off the fire because they were "falling off the bone". But man, they were the best I've ever had ANYWHERE.

Now I've got pork ribs and chicken under my belt, I am ready for the mighty pork butt. Let's hope the weather cooperates next weekend!!

Steady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back