Hybrid sauce

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
Hybrid-type sauce

This went the fastest in the line of 65 people that came to my little reception. I laid it up against/next to all of Sweet Baby rays mixes (were on sale at store. I just wanted something more familiar for people who would want choices) + a bottle of a vinegar based next to them I threw together. Had them labled simply for people "vinegar" and "regular" I feel like its a kind of hybrid between the two. I've used this a long time and cant remember where the base originaly came from but I cant take full credit. I've tried (and failed often) to absorb some tips from the all stars on this site and everywhere else, so thanks. feedback please.

1 cup quality ketchup
1 cup tomato sauce or pureed tomato (prefered)
1/2cup+1/8 cup of brown sugar (or honestly...whatever kind you want)
1/2cup+1/8 red wine vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
1 teaspoon matching liquid smoke (easy!) or meat drippings (me to lazy sometimes) or richley seasoned burt end, or pork bark chunks to be simmered w/ end product
1/2 Tblsp-1Tblsp. butter (to healthy w/ out it)

into a spice grinder.....
This isn't totally required but #1.the more stuff I have in my grinder the better it all gets slapped around to tear up the bigger chunks, etc. #2 I like to think its kind of like pre-ground coffee vs. whole bean as far as the chile, onion, garlic, etc. #3 it ensures its fine enough to shoot through my fine tipped bottle, and always mixed as best as it can be.
If you didn't use brown sugar above then I have ground some of the "pure cane" or "turbinado" in here if it helps add more bulk and abbrasion for your type of grinder.
1/2 teaspoon course seasalt (again....whatever you have, and adjust till your happy)
1/4 teaspoon course, minced dried garlic
1/4 teaspoon course minced onion
a chunk torn up in your fingers of fresh, dry ancho.. maybe half of a small one or start w/ less of these until you make it once.
same size hunk of guajillo torn up a little
small chunk of de arbol (or big if you like spicy, I just use a whole small one)
1/4 tsp. of that penzy's allepo
1/8-1/4 tsp. celery seed
grind to fine powder!

Good amount of ground black pepper, grind fine.
1/8 tsp. cinnamon (all I can find is saigon...not sure about cinnamon types sorry)
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/8 mustard pwdr.
pinch of allspice... maybe

I've played around w/ basil and thyme before also in small amounts, adjust as you wish. You should adjust this to pieces if you wish and make it yours, thats what its all about.

simmer 10 minutes or so and then let it steep to room temp. I personally like dumping some "ocean spray no sugar added cranberry and rasberry juice" in there to thin it out. (Maybe some vinegar if your tweeking for yourself...on the vinegar side of hybrid) Not special or "specific" juice, but just because its around for me. My wife likes and buys it a lot. Just try w/ whatever you have, maybe even apple juice or whatever. Take it to as thin as you like while it simmers. After you have made this once you'll know about how much fruit juice you like added and you can cut some sugar up top to make up for it (if you want). A lot of these juices are sweet naturally or un-naturally. You can also take tomato puree amounts down (or maybe out) while taking vinegar up or vise versa to make your own hybrid preference. As written (pretty much) i like w/ brisket/beef. I just focus on keeping the bulk amounts (of tomato vs. vinegar) about the same as I adjust, if that makes sense. I'm to the point where I measure but only kind of w/ about half the ingredients so let me know how this came out please. PLEASE give feedback and other ideas, no hard feelings, just curious what everyone likes out there!! THANKS hope you like.

Last edited:

Back