Humphrey Briquettes

B.A. Becton

Does anyone have experience/opinions on Humphrey briquettes?

I used Kingsford because it was easy to find and inexpensive. I empted the ash from four WSMs over the weekend from a competition cook and noticed the Humphrey seemed to produce a lot less ash and I didn't use as much Humphrey.
We ran out of Kingsford and they were selling Humphrey at the competition so we bought a 20# bag of briquettes. Although the Humphrey was a little slower to light and come up to temp but I liked the way it burned and the minimial amount of ash produced compared to Kingsford.

I only burned about 8# of the Humphrey but I was so impressed with it that I returned 200# of Kingsford when I got back home.

I've looked at the Naked Whiz charcoal database and the Humphrey Lump received a very good review but they don't have anything on the briquettes.

Thanks!

I use Humphrey's Lump all the time but never knew they made Briquettes. I just picked up 5-40 lb bags of lump last month and the place i get it at doesn't carry the briqs. Let us know if you find anything out. Maybe i'll call them and see what's up and where i can get some. Thanks for the heads up.
icon_wink.gif

Ok, I just got off the phone with the Humphrey guy about the Briquettes. B.A you can call Charcoal & Briquettes Distributors of Western New York(716) 937-0262 located in Buffalo to find out where it's available in your area. The guy said that they do sell it in the Rochester area.
Anybody in the Reading, Philly area it's available at Pottstown Roller Mill (610) 323-8620
Talked to him about the briqs and it's the 1" or less pieces of lump ground up and they only use corn starch to bind it together nothing else.
icon_smile.gif

Bryan,

Thanks for the information and I'll call them once I use up the Mali's gourmet lump I picked up at a local independent grocery store in Rochester.
Naked Whiz doesn't have a listing for Mali's so I'll send them a bag to review.

B.A. Becton
Cracker Boy BBQ

Back