How to wrap a brisket in foil?????

JimT

TVWBB Pro
Sometimes, the simplest of things can get quite complex!
icon_confused.gif

So I've got this 12 pound packer cooking on the WSM using the High Temp Method. Came time to foil, and I brought out my 18 inch wide roll of HD foil. There's no way this 16" x 10" x 2 to 4" piece of meat can be wrapped with a single crimp in the foil that will ensure the juices will be contained.

What's your wrapping technique?

Not very good at puzzles, either,

JimT

Same situation with mine. I wrapped lengthwise as best I could with plenty of extra to come up over the ends. The middle was still a little exposed, so I ran another piece perpendicular around the middle. Doesn't allow for a real clean crimp, but sealed it up pretty well...I hope.

When they are too big for the foil I either, 1) run off to the store, (10 minutes each way), for bigger foil, or 2) run around like a headless chicken for a couple of minutes, (when the stores are closed).

Then I take the foil and pull a section longer than the meat by 6", I put the meat on the foil close to one "corner" of the foil at 45° alignment, and I pull the foil over the meat and then turn the meat and foil over till I get to the other end of the foil.

Now take a piece of foil the same size, but start the wrap from the other corner of the meat.

You now have the meat wrapped on both diagonals, if there is still meat not covered, I then pull two sheets of foil the same size, and I crimp them together by one edge, with a double crimp turn over one inch and fold together, then turn the turned pieces over another inch, you now have foil about 80% the width of two sections of foil, and can wrap the meat.

I like to have meat wrapped in at least a double layer of foil anyway, and often a triple layer, so as long as I didn't run right out of foil, one or other of the above methods will normally do the job.

The other thing I like to do is put the foiled meat onto a pan that will sit in the cooker, and then there is less strain on the foil when you move it around.

Mine are usually your size, Jim. I lay the brisket on a piece of 18" foil, lengthwise, with an extra 4 or so inches of foil at each end. I pull this foil up, pull the sides up, then lay another piece lengthwise on top and crimp it to the bottom piece, so the cripm ends up being an oval of sorts. This way the crimp remains above the brisket and juices won't leak out.

I take 2 pieces of the wide HD foil, place them back to back, and proceed to fold the long edges multiple times to make one really huge piece of foil. Lay it down, put the brisket on it, bring the sides up, roll/crimp, and then bring the ends up. Isn't perfect at containing juices, but it is effective.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
I take 2 pieces of the wide HD foil, place them back to back, and proceed to fold the long edges multiple times to make one really huge piece of foil. Lay it down, put the brisket on it, bring the sides up, roll/crimp, and then bring the ends up. Isn't perfect at containing juices, but it is effective. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually do it this way but I've been thinking about putting it in a foil pan and covering and crimping the foil to the pan.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Thinking about this further, I wonder how something like Reynolds oven bags would work. You couldn't get it to tightly wrap the meat, but is that necessary? After all, when we wrap in foil we're really just braising the meat (I believe) which is what the bags are designed to do!

What do you all think? Ever tried it/thought about it????

JimT

I have found using foil to be too wasteful for my taste. My parents got me two oval roasting pans with lids for Christmas - after the meat comes off the smoker, it goes into the roasting pans and into a cool oven to rest. A bit more expensive up front but I don't end up throwing away so much foil.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_S:
I have found using foil to be too wasteful for my taste. My parents got me two oval roasting pans with lids for Christmas - after the meat comes off the smoker, it goes into the roasting pans and into a cool oven to rest. A bit more expensive up front but I don't end up throwing away so much foil.

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, my Wife just mentioned the other day that I really go through the foil lol.

Back