How to Use Lump

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
For lump newbies, a how to fire up and get a long consistant burn with lump primer would be helpful. My last experience with lump was a pain but I must admit I liked the result. Anyone care to offer the basics and maybe a secret or two?

Steve,

I have used lump over a dozen times and I pretty much do the same thing I do with charcoal. I do the minion method usually. I fill the ring about 1/2 to full depending on what I'm cooking, then use a full chimney that's 90-95% fully lit, then poor over the ring, spreading it out with a metal pair of tongs, then assemble the WSM & cook as I do with charcoal. Temps come up fairly quickly and I usually keep the vents open a 1/4 to 1/2 open then adjust when I reach my temp.

I typically don't do any higher temp smokes above 250 degrees in the WSM. If I need higher temps I usually use my gas grill.

Please detail the problems you experienced & we'll see if others have some solutions.

I fill the ring carefully, not allowing space between pieces using the minion method. I usually use about 15-20 lit charcoal briqs to pour over the lump. Then spread them out evenly.

If I am cooking lots of dense meat (like 2 or more butts)and want to get temps up fairly quickly while conserving the lump, then I'll use more lit charcoal at the beginning.

The two frustrations I experienced were falling temps and running out of fuel. The MM cook was a typical butt over brisket with water. I added all the 10 lbs. of Royal Oak and some Kingford. It was not an unusually long cook. I have cooked with King and added unlit. It is unusual to have to add charcoal twice. The other observation was that the lump did not burn evenly.

That all said, I liked the smell of the lump and the Q produced was as good as any I made with King. Thanks for any recomendations.

If I am using Royal Oak on an overnighter, I know I'll have to add more at some point. I target the 12-14 hour mark for refueling.

Unlike charcoal, you might need to adjust (stir)the lump once in a while for a more even burn.

While charcoal is virtually maintenance free lump is not.

On most overnighters I use Wicked Good Lump competition brand (until I nearly ran out). I can count on around 17-18 hours continous burn with this stuff. It is very dense in weight compared to Royal Oak.

The last time I used Royal Oak on an overnighter, I used about 3/4 weber chimney of lit over lump to get to temps quicker, thus help conserve the lump for cooking rather than bringing the WSM up to temps.

You must be very careful with vents when you do this though. I shut the vents down almost completely after I dump the lit charcoal, then slowly open them to regulate temps.

Keep trying, the end result is worth it IMO.

Ps- I always have some leftover lump that didn't get used, I just use it in the chimney for the next 'cue.

Falling temps and refueling could be part of the same problem; Craig's admonition to fill the ring carefully is apt. If there's a lot of spaces between pieces you're starting with less lump than you could. Spaces can also make lighting slower and less efficient as the cook progresses resulting in temp drops here and there. Try pouring in just a small amount of lump at a time when you first fill the ring, smoothing out the pieces and squeezing smaller pieces into spaces after each addition. Mork work than dumping in the ol' Kingsford but worth it.

Burning unevenness us characteristic of many lumps because of varying densities of the wood used. Royal Oak, e.g., is a mix of different hardwoods, its name notwithstanding. Having the ring packed a bit better can help with that but stirring here and there is usually necessary as Craig notes. WG's denser pieces are the largest; I try to space those pieces somewhat evenly.

Steve, As said above pack them in there really good. I get about 8-9 lbs of Hump Lump in the ring and that will burn for 16-17 hrs before having to refuel. Other than the packing of the lump everything else is the same for the MM. I tend to tap or gently kick the bottom bowl where one of the legs attach instead or stirring.
icon_smile.gif

My first few lump cooks were not that great. I was putting the Charcoal I used to start it all in the center of the ring. Had a very uneven burn. Went to spreading the lit coals evenly over the lump, much better results, but packing the lump in right is also a big key as mentioned.
I think the Kingsford flavor hides to much of the meat/rub flavor. I will only use Kingsford when all options are depleted, which is getting close right now lol. I used RO the past few cooks and it went well, but prefer the ole Hump Lump better.

I'm doing my very first lump cook right now. I'm useing Royal Oak and mm. I filled the ring about half way, I'm cooking Spare ribs. I'm basicly doing everything the same as I did with Kingsford and so far it's been smooth saleing. I think I like lump

Well everything was going great until about 3 and a half hours. My temp was dropping and I figured out that I didnt spread the starter coals good enough. I gave them a stir and dumped on some more that I started in the chimmey. Temps came back up fast. I think next time I'm going to use a few more to start everything going. Maybe 30 briqs?

I,ve been using lump from BBQ's Galore it seems to do ok but when you get to the bottom of the bag there's alot of powder. I seem to get more mileage from my lump when I use sand covered with foil than water in the pan .

Bob, did the same thing on my first lump cook. I'm going to try what one of the other guys suggested by using more lit up front to get the temps up quicker and conserve fuel. I also don't use more than a 1/2 full brinkmann pan of hot water to start. I had more really hot water during the cook if needed<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
My first few lump cooks were not that great. I was putting the Charcoal I used to start it all in the center of the ring. Had a very uneven burn. Went to spreading the lit coals evenly over the lump, much better results, but packing the lump in right is also a big key as mentioned.
I think the Kingsford flavor hides to much of the meat/rub flavor. I will only use Kingsford when all options are depleted, which is getting close right now lol. I used RO the past few cooks and it went well, but prefer the ole Hump Lump better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by paul h:
Bob, did the same thing on my first lump cook. I'm going to try what one of the other guys suggested by using more lit up front to get the temps up quicker and conserve fuel. I also don't use more than a 1/2 full brinkmann pan of hot water to start. I had more really hot water during the cook if needed
My big issue was not spreading the coals around enough. I don't use water to often, so that isn't an issue with me. I have the Guru and it heats her up pretty quick. I do take more time to pack it in also. I don't see going back to K-ford unless I run out of lump and don't feel like running to the store lol.

Back