How to use AP mode

Dale Ward

TVWBB Fan
Trying to set up a New Heatermeter in AP mode. Setting up for use at campsite with no WIFI. Does the AP mode make the heatermeter to broadcast an SSID and be connected to just like it was on the home wifi. I have been looking for a thread the explains how to set it up for AP aand how to use AP but can not find anything.

Thanks for the Help

Yeah it shows up just like a home wireless network except without the Internet access. I don't expose the option to hide the SSID, so it always will broadcast. I don't think AP mode works on the Edimax wifi dongles, but it does on Pi3B+ / ZeroW and the Ralink adapters.

If you just use a USB stick (or any config.txt method) to configure it for AP mode, then the boot process will handle all the other stuff like enabling the DHCP server and such.
Code:
wifi_ssid=heatermeter
wifi_mode=ap
wifi_band=2
wifi_channel=6
wifi_encryption=none
The encryption is disabled there, but you can set it to psk2 and add wifi_password=xxxx if you want security on.

Yeah it shows up just like a home wireless network except without the Internet access. I don't expose the option to hide the SSID, so it always will broadcast. I don't think AP mode works on the Edimax wifi dongles, but it does on Pi3B+ / ZeroW and the Ralink adapters.

If you just use a USB stick (or any config.txt method) to configure it for AP mode, then the boot process will handle all the other stuff like enabling the DHCP server and such.
Code:
wifi_ssid=heatermeter
wifi_mode=ap
wifi_band=2
wifi_channel=6
wifi_encryption=none
The encryption is disabled there, but you can set it to psk2 and add wifi_password=xxxx if you want security on.
Brian,

Got it working but only on zero+ can not get to work on 3b+ tried three different 3B+. need on 3b+ so He can use the usb to change config from homenet to AP

I just copy pasted the bit from my code block into a file called config.txt on a USB flash drive (exFAT format, but FAT32 works too) and booted my Pi3B+ and it came up in AP mode. The system was previously a wireless client to my wifi network, so it appears to work for me. I can't think of how it wouldn't work on one platform and not another so it should work on both a ZeroW and 3B+.

I will try again. I can get the 3b+ to client mode no problem. if I down load the ap mode from dl site It shows ip address 198.168.201.1 but no broadcast of ssid. The zero does fine. Very frustrated at this point.

Oh so you're not doing it via USB stick? I just downloaded v15 stable images in "default (heatermeter AP)" and AP but then filling in all the information and both produced a fresh Pi3B+ showing up as a "heatermeter" wifi network. For AP mode I filled it in with
Mode: Access Point
Network Name: heatermeter
Wireless encryption: None
Wireless band: 2.4GHz
Channel: 6

Downloaded the file for the 10th time and some reason it works now. I don't know same way been doing it the same for days

Back