How to: Tips and chine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
Hi -
I just fired up the WSM for 2 STL racks and have never come up with a 'killer' way to get my tips/chine to come out excellent.

Because of the sizes of the pieces, do you:
(Let's assume a 7hr rib smoke)
* Put on when you put the ribs on?
* Delay putting on for 2-3 hours?
* Wrap in foil and spritz and keep them on the lower grate the whole time?

Thanks,
~ Sean

I've usually just rubbed them and cooked them on my Weber kettle. I set the grill up with the coals and 1-2 pieces of smoke wood on one side and none on the other. Then placed the ribs on the cool side for most of the time--moving them to the hot side to brown them up a little.

They were quite good; and it was easier dealing with the various sized pieces of skirt meat, tips, and end ribs that were left after trimming 9 slabs down to KC-style slabs than using the WSM (which was full anyway
icon_smile.gif
).

Sean

I did some ribs yesterday and dpending on if you want the tips early or late is when you should put them on. I put them on in the beginning and they only took 2 hours for the strips and 2.5 for the tips. Your times may vary but I have foound that overdoing them does them no justice. How did your ribs come out? I did mine at 210 degrees no foil for 7.5 hours. I find that a lower temp works best when not foiling. I mopped half, half, and half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back