"How to Smoke Self Basting Turkey": questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
Great timing. Got to be the best web site ever on simplistic, easy to understand "how to" instructions. Kudos, Chris.

Questions:
1) I've been asked to do two (2) birds for an office get together. Does this change the process dramatically in some way? Should I swap them top to bottom half way through?

2) Seasoning: I have fried turkeys before, and used a "cajun" injectable marinade paired with a good "cajun" dry rub. Awesome results !!

To smoke the birds, I would like to try the brining. The apple juice, honey, brown sugar recipes sound good. What would be a good rub to compliment that sweet brine? Not sure "cajun" would be it.

Also, can someone suggest a "cajun" combo? What could I put in the brine to compliment a "cajun" rub?

I would like to do one of both for the office gig.

A self-basting or "enhanced" turkey is technically already brined. If you can, find all natural birds if you want to do your own brine. I have used Louisiana crab boil (liquid) in a brine before and it's pretty good.

You can swap birds mid-cook, but it may not be worth the trouble. Measure the distance between grates so you can buy a bird that will fit on the lower.

Best results will be obtained cooking at 325-350* with a dry water pan. Two birds will suck up a lot of heat energy, so load up with a full charcoal ring. Line the dry pan with foil so you can collect the drippings for some gravy if you wish-- not that you'll need it-- it'll be plenty moist and juicy. Pull them of when the breast reaches a few degrees below 165-- it will rise upon resting before you carve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back