How to serve Brisket

Sam S.

TVWBB Member
I am going to be smoking a 6 pound brisket tomorrow. I am going to give about half to my neighbor because he has been snow blowing my drive way. Now only eating brisket twice in my life how should I give it to him. I don't really know him all that well he has just commented on how good the BBQ smells.

My wife suggested that I just cut off half and give it to him. I just thought if someone gave me a big chunk of beef (most Minnesotans don't know what brisket is) he wouldn't know what to do with it so does anyone have any good suggestions on good rolls/buns - sauce to use (is this is how it is traditionally served?).

Thanks,
Sam

Deffinetly don't just give him a hunk of beef.

Pull it. Make a mustard sc. Splurge and buy a pack of buns.

And don't forget a small instruction sheet on the best way to reheat it if he slices it or uses it pulled. Heaven knows, the reheating instructions have been on many threads here and getting them together for him will jog your memory for your own meal.

I agree with Jon. A small jar of one or two sauces would be nice too.

On the other hand, it might be easier and neighborly to ask him over to enjoy it with you. Barbecue makes good friends fast! Next thing you know he'll be snow-blowing your whole yard in hopes of more barbecue.

Rita

Rita , what a wise - and warm - response! AND it has the great advantage , in my opinion, that any excess meat will not be going away with the neighbours but remain where it belongs - in Sam's fridge!!!

Andrew

Rita's advice is what I would go with. Next thing you know, he will be over with his lawn mower the rest of the year!

Sorry I missed this. It's probably too late.
In South Texas brisket is normally served one of two ways:
-The "formal" way involves a palte and plastic tools aka knife&fork. Beans(pinto of course,potato salad or slaw(usually mayo or Miracle whip based,square white bread,sliced onion,picke and jalapeos.Sauce on the side. Favorited vary a bunch. I prefer non'sweet stuff like Stubb's
-The "informal" way usually involves leftovers from the above method. A sandwich using the bread with a little sauce slathed on it,then some slices of warmed or room temp brisket topped with sliced onion and pickle.Japos are optional.
Hope I don't stir up too much discussion about this. This is what I have observed and eaten for the last 40 years that I have resided in TX.

Back