how to.......refurb really bad manifold and a white powder cook box????

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.....
I just picked up a nice candidate for resto but it has 2 challenges neither of which are deal killers but I am looking for your opinions. I have grown to like this model for its simplicity vs all of the wood or cabinet grills.
The two challenges that this grill is throwing at me are.....

The manifold was rusty like no black paint left on it rusty. How thick are these old school manifolds? I would like to just take a sanding wheel to it and get it back to somewhat clean lumpy metal then a fresh coat of paint to protect it. Have u guys ever burned through a manifold with a sanding disk? The wire wheel might not do the job on this one.

The second issue is pretty common but probably the worst patch of white aluminum scale that I have seen on a cook box. I understand that the white scale is the aluminum deteriorating for whatever reason and in the past I have just torn right through it with a wire wheel then painted over. This white scale patch is located on the back of the cook box only. Is there any reason for concern or should I just stay the course and grind it off then paint over as usual?

I can post pics of the scale and the manifold tomorrow if needed.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210116_200054.jpg
    20210116_200054.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 16
Hello all.....
I just picked up a nice candidate for resto but it has 2 challenges neither of which are deal killers but I am looking for your opinions. I have grown to like this model for its simplicity vs all of the wood or cabinet grills.
The two challenges that this grill is throwing at me are.....

The manifold was rusty like no black paint left on it rusty. How thick are these old school manifolds? I would like to just take a sanding wheel to it and get it back to somewhat clean lumpy metal then a fresh coat of paint to protect it. Have u guys ever burned through a manifold with a sanding disk? The wire wheel might not do the job on this one.
I wouldn't think twice about sanding/wire wheeling one of them. I have in the past. THey are substantial thickness.
The second issue is pretty common but probably the worst patch of white aluminum scale that I have seen on a cook box. I understand that the white scale is the aluminum deteriorating for whatever reason and in the past I have just torn right through it with a wire wheel then painted over. This white scale patch is located on the back of the cook box only. Is there any reason for concern or should I just stay the course and grind it off then paint over as usual?
Yep, a wire wheel will clean it up good. Then just paint it with High Heat paint. Rustoleum is what I use on cook boxes. If you start wire wheeling it and find holes, then you are pretty much done and will have to find a replacement.
I can post pics of the scale and the manifold tomorrow if needed.
Thanks

Back