How to prevent rust on grates

LarryL

TVWBB Member
Hi. I have a q300 and replaced the enameled grates about 2.5 years ago. I noticed some areas where the enamel looks like it flaked off and is rusting. Weber replaced the grates since the grates were under warranty Weber replaced them.

Is there a trick to keeping the enamel from flaking off and rusting? Am I missing some care/maintenance step? I just use a wire brush/grill brush before and after I cook.

thanks

Consider Stainless Steel when you decide to replace those grates. They will cost a little more than OEM Weber grates, but they will not rust. I have a set on my Q200 and I don't even bother to brush them off between cooks usually.
That porcelain coating flaking off can be a dental visit in the making.

D0B00DFE-B439-4A3B-A247-E4893C7C0103.jpegI swear by these grill brushes, they have kept my 320-3200 grates in great condition for years.
Now yes after 10 years I’m on my 3rd set off grates but this last set is from the 3200 series has been amazing.

Thanks for all the feedback and links. Good to know I didn’t do something to screw them up. But will look at alternatives for the next time

That is cool I did not know anyone made plain CI for them. I love my SS ones though. But still I might have to spring for a set of these

Back