How to make the charcoals very hot for searing?

I have lurked for years, but could never add to the experts that posted before me until now.

In addition to the great tips above, when I need the highest temps possible (like for a sous vide sear) I break out a leaf blower and aim it at the side of the kettle, not the coals themselves. I get a swirling vortex of flame in less than 60 seconds. I would estimate the temps at around 900 degrees F, so keep your lid far off to the side. It can and will melt the plastic handle and lid holders if the lid is in the cradle at those temps.

I have lurked for years, but could never add to the experts that posted before me until now.

In addition to the great tips above, when I need the highest temps possible (like for a sous vide sear) I break out a leaf blower and aim it at the side of the kettle, not the coals themselves. I get a swirling vortex of flame in less than 60 seconds. I would estimate the temps at around 900 degrees F, so keep your lid far off to the side. It can and will melt the plastic handle and lid holders if the lid is in the cradle at those temps.

Kevin a friend of mine starts his big green egg with a leaf blower! I always laughed but man it worked!

Where do ya'll buy the fire bricks?

As a newbie in the weber kettle world, I just purchased and delivered it today, Appreciate you all as I read all your suggestions. I'm learning a lot from your tips.

I really have been only searing steaks and tri-tip lately.
I do a reverse sear using chimney of briquettes.
I cook indirect until the meat is in the mid 120 range then I sear the snot out of it.
Constantly flipping and moving looking for that great sear.
Sometimes I cheat and use a butter garlic blend for steaks.
Sometimes I keep drizzling my marinade on my tri-tip this chills the coals a bit.
Sometimes I rake the coals with my hook to clean them up so they breath better and get hotter.
Once I added more coals from a chimney but that was not necessary.

If you find a Jumbo Joe for sale, the charcoal grate to cooking grate distance is perfect for cooking steaks. I use it every time!

Back