How to make Genesis gas grill hotter

If your grill is really not getting as hot as it used to

Sounds like its working exactly like a brand new 300 series I've used several times did. While I think modifying it is something I would do, I can see the perspective of other people that wouldn't attempt it or recommend it. It has as much to do with confidence in your abilities as it does with anything. I used to modify cars with superchargers and all forms of equipment. As a teen, I hot rodded my minibike to have a ported, milled head, and alcohol burning beast. I've done some type of modification to my grills just to do what I want. But, stock is ok if you're happy.
The thought that runs through my head is, when you modify something like that, it becomes your exclusive property. No one else knows what you've done to it and no one else knows the procedure to operate it correctly. Most people can take one look at the things you mention and say, nope, not gonna try to run that thing without Chuck around. But because a modified grill seems simple enough externally that it would never occur to someone that Chuck has souped it up, you then have both a legal and a moral responsibility to make sure that no one is able to operate it without your supervision. It is your exclusive property. If you want to teach your kids how to BBQ or have the wife get the grill started while you are on your way home from work, you wouldn't want them operating a modified grill, any more than you would put a supercharged alcohol-burning engine in the car your wife uses to take the kids to soccer practice.

The thought that runs through my head is, when you modify something like that, it becomes your exclusive property. No one else knows what you've done to it and no one else knows the procedure to operate it correctly. Most people can take one look at the things you mention and say, nope, not gonna try to run that thing without Chuck around. But because a modified grill seems simple enough externally that it would never occur to someone that Chuck has souped it up, you then have both a legal and a moral responsibility to make sure that no one is able to operate it without your supervision. It is your exclusive property. If you want to teach your kids how to BBQ or have the wife get the grill started while you are on your way home from work, you wouldn't want them operating a modified grill, any more than you would put a supercharged alcohol-burning engine in the car your wife uses to take the kids to soccer practice.
(y):ROFLMAO:
I guess I haven't taken that legal class on product liability and tort law as seriously as you. Maybe I should. I do live in CA where the ratio of lawyers is either the highest or nearly so. But, I also haven't built any grill equipment I'd worry about an operator either getting hurt with, not that anyone but me uses it, since it's just me and my wife and she just doesn't do grilling or bbq. But if I did make something I'd stay up nights fretting over, I'd dismantle it and just toss it in the dumpster when I was finished with it. This discussion is very similar to the vehicle forum discussions I've read. There are basically two camps: the dead stock, never a modification, worried about warranty camp, and the camp that can't wait to get going on modifications. I've lived in both camps.

Rather than ruin a perfectly working grill. sell it and buy one with an infrared sear burner.

(y):ROFLMAO:
I guess I haven't taken that legal class on product liability and tort law as seriously as you. Maybe I should. I do live in CA where the ratio of lawyers is either the highest or nearly so. But, I also haven't built any grill equipment I'd worry about an operator either getting hurt with, not that anyone but me uses it, since it's just me and my wife and she just doesn't do grilling or bbq. But if I did make something I'd stay up nights fretting over, I'd dismantle it and just toss it in the dumpster when I was finished with it. This discussion is very similar to the vehicle forum discussions I've read. There are basically two camps: the dead stock, never a modification, worried about warranty camp, and the camp that can't wait to get going on modifications. I've lived in both camps.
I agree. I am all for experimenting. There is almost nothing that can't be undone on a grill quite easily if deemed unsafe or unwanted. You think Edison and his kite in a thunderstorm was safe? People die playing it safe as well as trying things. Where would we be if no one tried things. Come on and lighten up, an adjustable regulator or boring out a orifice is not like diving off a cliff.

I agree. I am all for experimenting. There is almost nothing that can't be undone on a grill quite easily if deemed unsafe or unwanted. You think Edison and his kite in a thunderstorm was safe? People die playing it safe as well as trying things. Where would we be if no one tried things. Come on and lighten up, an adjustable regulator or boring out a orifice is not like diving off a cliff.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: It was Benjamin Franklin and his kite! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Edison had a kite too, but he was too smart to fly it in a thunderstorm.

Thanks for the chuckle, Joe! I get what you're saying, though. Consider me lightened up!

Last edited:
I guess I have approached life a bit differently than some. I took some risks. I flew aerobatic airplanes doing wild manuevers in the sky and even jumped out of airplanes 35 times. I flew a single engine airplane down inside the Grand Canyon (when it was legal). I've taken horses where many a cowboy would not. I knew those things to be risky at the time. But I never thought I'd be having a discussion about a propane burner modification being a high risk endeavor. I guess that pipe burner I made was "playing with fire". LOL.

20181029_184204.jpg
Almost 40 years now, so I just recalled, I also modified my aerobatic plane. I shoehorned a larger engine in it, fabricated a new engine mount, headers, and entire cowling, landing gear structure, and boosted that larger engine by 10% output. That was livin in the fast lane in my 20s.

Attachments

• Pitts 3.jpg
    Pitts 3.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Pitts 2.jpg
    Pitts 2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Ive looked and assessed all of the mod suggestions and determined this is the way to go for me.

daa5d23e63eb76aea75fec8b7b9d92fe.jpg

I guess I have approached life a bit differently than some. I took some risks. I flew aerobatic airplanes doing wild manuevers in the sky and even jumped out of airplanes 35 times. I flew a single engine airplane down inside the Grand Canyon (when it was legal). I've taken horses where many a cowboy would not. I knew those things to be risky at the time. But I never thought I'd be having a discussion about a propane burner modification being a high risk endeavor. I guess that pipe burner I made was "playing with fire". LOL.

View attachment 40213
Almost 40 years now, so I just recalled, I also modified my aerobatic plane. I shoehorned a larger engine in it, fabricated a new engine mount, headers, and entire cowling, landing gear structure, and boosted that larger engine by 10% output. That was livin in the fast lane in my 20s.
You may have the qualifications to maybe modify a grill. Not too sure.... Just maybe;-)

Back