How to make Genesis gas grill hotter

Use some firebricks. Gas grills are designed to be well ventilated (just look at the difference between the Char Q and a Q2200). Well ventilated means not great at keeping heat inside. Adding thermal mass can, in theory, help counter act the effects of ventilation. Same reason why the grill grates work. Remember lava rocks from the 80s?

My greasy, dirty, gnarly Silver B I rescued from my father-in-law's trip to the dump still pegs the [calibrated] thermometer, though.

Weber does not build grills to be ridiculous blow torches. If working properly they get more than hot enough (especially in the hands of a skilled cook). They go more for fuel efficiency and in that (at least on the old true Genesis lines) they excelled.

Boyd -- this is what you are looking for. Which isn't so much about adding just more BTUs and temps. But adding some infrared radiation searing oomph to your gasser, which is primarily a convection cooking apparatus.

Drop-in infrared burner that swaps in for one of the regular Genesis burners.

Doesn't look like these guys are still in business though.

Now, if you want a flame seared steak, add some of those to your grill and let them soak up some grease. I sure do not miss those bonfires before I moved to Weber.
I had a co-worker who's husband did not buy a grill for years because he had to find one that had lava rocks. My old 88 Sunbeam had them. All cast aluminum and I cleaned it up once a year and replaced the rocks when they wore out. I traded up to my first Weber when a neighbor put one out at the curb and the Sunbeam was happily received on Freecycle.

Boyd -- this is what you are looking for. Which isn't so much about adding just more BTUs and temps. But adding some infrared radiation searing oomph to your gasser, which is primarily a convection cooking apparatus.

Drop-in infrared burner that swaps in for one of the regular Genesis burners.

Doesn't look like these guys are still in business though.

That was really interesting. I called the number on the Website and got in touch with the owner. Basically this is the company that makes IR burners for all the expensive brands that use them! They have products, but marketing for retail sucks. They had an arrangement with BBQ Guys and Weber threatened BBQ Guys with pricing if they did not remove the IR-Afterburner product. They do have after market IR burners for the Genesis N/S grills for about $150. Unfortunately I don't have one right now to test. I told him I would write back with this site address and a few of the YouTube grill reviewers for marketing.

That is interesting.

If I was going to get a new N/S Genesis, I'd be tempted to get a model without the extra Weber sear burner, and just try swapping in an IR burner instead.

Maintenance-wise on my old silver b, the best way to improve temps was to keep the catch tray under the burners clean and clear of debris. Not sure if it’s been mentioned here but I forgot to do it for a while, found 1 inch worth of grease soaked debris and could not get the grill over 450 degrees. Cleared out the mess and was able to get 600+ degrees. Hope this helps.

I don't think he put rocks in there. The glowing was the flavo bars. And shows you how well............................dumb he was the OEM regulator is not a 1 PSI as 1 PSI is literally over twice what it should be at.

I don't think he put rocks in there. The glowing was the flavo bars. And shows you how well............................dumb he was the OEM regulator is not a 1 PSI as 1 PSI is literally over twice what it should be at.
He clearly stated he put them in and they are visible.

Back