How to maintain a paella pan?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albert Adato:
I got to rig something in the kettle tabs to raise the cooking grill so the pan’s bottom reaches the grill and give some top ventilation, as it sits in the pictures the only air that will reach the coals is from the bottom.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a nice tight fit and likely won't fall off, but agree there needs to be some air exchange from the top as well.
That's a nice set of pans Flaco, looks like you're all set there.

Would the handles break off if you gently bent them into an upright position, like a good roasting pan? That would make it even easier to remove the pan from the cooker or grill.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Would the handles break off if you gently bent them into an upright position, like a good roasting pan? That would make it even easier to remove the pan from the cooker or grill.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Or you could remove the handles and use OVE Gloves.....I do.
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albert Adato:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Nice pan Flaco! Like you I also have two sizes. I even made a deep dish pizza in the small one once. Here's another idea. Lay two or three bricks in the grate and set the pan on that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shaun, great suggestion for pan pizza!

The brick idea not so great, it will affect the even heating of the bottom that is essential for the socarrat on the bottom of the paella.

The way I see it I have two choices, put something in the inside tabs of the kettle to elevate the cooking grill, perhaps a metal ring or get a 26¾ OTG </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Flaco, I was thinking about what you said about the fire bricks. I never use them for paella. But I do set the pan directly on the grate. I have found you don't want a rageing fire and the pan heats pretty evenly with an even blanket of charcoal. I think they are designed to work that way. And as for the socarrat or crust, that's my favorite part too. for other cooks mainly baking I use a thick pizza stone. Anyway, as far as raising the pan you can use a round charcoal ring from a wsm. I use one for my deep fry pan.

Wow Albert! Saga is right, I just hope it all works out though. Congratulations on the new 26er anyway.
icon_smile.gif

Back