How to maintain 250-275 with Weber Kettle?

Thats all I had to go with. I popped a cheap oven thermometer on the grate, and it read round 250ish. I took the ABT's off about 10 minutes ago. Bacon was crispy on the outside...

The things...ARE AMAZING. So many flavors going on at once!! Next purchase is a Maverick though. I hate not knowing the grate temp.

A Maverick will be perfect for what you're trying to do, along with the advisement given here (particularly the one with the pictures, and using firebricks, water above the coals, etc. No sub for a WSM, but can work well for cooks < 8 hrs.

Thats pretty much how I ran it last night, but I was getting 400 degrees with the dome temp at the indirect part of the grill.

Im thinking of doing each basket via minion and see if I cant get anything going that way....

Andrew, I have the exact opposite problem you have. I can keep a low temp without any problems, but I have an awful time trying to get it smoking hot for doing pizzas, or searing meats. I can barely get above 445 with a full lit chimney.

Snake method

I use the snake on the kettle, I light 6 kingsford blue and place it at one end and wait for it to settle and go to bed(i work nights so daytime sleep) with 3/4 a 22.5 snake i get about 8 hours.

I did some ABTs for my rib challenge. Ran them a little hotter, at 350, due to timing issue. If I run any cook under 300 I use either WSM. I keep the hotter temps to the 26.75.

Andrew, I have the exact opposite problem you have. I can keep a low temp without any problems, but I have an awful time trying to get it smoking hot for doing pizzas, or searing meats. I can barely get above 445 with a full lit chimney.

You can use two full lit chimneys if need be, it will get hot.

I have the individual bottom vents on my ranch kettle and my OTS uses slots with the 3 wings inside to control the oxygen. On both I foil the charcoal grate
leaving the charcoal snake the only area uncovered. Using the OTS all the oxygen from the three vents is funneled to the coals. For the ranch the snake is placed
over a open vent with the other 2 closed. Again the oxygen is funneled to the snake. The snake is 3 to four inches wide and 3 to 4 inches deep. Light one end only
of the snake with designated vent or vents wide open. Watch the grate temps as the fire starts and close down the vents starting 50* below desired temps. It is
much easier to raise the temps as opposed to cooling it down.

Bump to this...gonna attempt a rack of St. Louis style ribs tomorrow. Got them sitting in a rub right now (just a standard yellow mustard with some canned McCormick Memphis rub). Won't be saucing these at all, gonna go with a spray bottle of a 60/40 split between apple cider vinegar and the rub for a mop. Gonna try for an apple/hickory combo.

I'll use the snake again, this time with 10-15 coals at the start, and a longer snake. One problem I have is that my smoke wood catches on fire and burns pretty heavy causing a heat jump. Is that normal?

Bump to this...gonna attempt a rack of St. Louis style ribs tomorrow. Got them sitting in a rub right now (just a standard yellow mustard with some canned McCormick Memphis rub). Won't be saucing these at all, gonna go with a spray bottle of a 60/40 split between apple cider vinegar and the rub for a mop. Gonna try for an apple/hickory combo.

I'll use the snake again, this time with 10-15 coals at the start, and a longer snake. One problem I have is that my smoke wood catches on fire and burns pretty heavy causing a heat jump. Is that normal?

The flare-up usually occurs because you need to keep the vents open to provide enough air to feed the snake. The wood ignites because there is enough oxygen to support the flame. You can try closing more of the vents and see if you can maintain your desired temp or use the foil and firebrick dam method. If it's only one rack of ribs I'd try the dam method. If you are going to sprits, you will have the lid off every hour or so and can add more fuel and turn the rack around. The dam method should give you at least a couple of hours without adding fuel. I run my bottom vent open about 1/4 of the way. No flare-ups ever. Restrict your top vent to 50% open and see how that works. I often run with the top vent 1/4 open as well.

I use the minion method. Pour a bank of charcoal to one side, not even 20 of the grill, then pour about 10 lit ones of top of that with a couple of pieces of wood. Once I hit 250 or so I close the vents so that they are open about 1/8th of an inch. Let it rip. Now, I don't smoke in my grill, I use my wsm for that, but I have done ribs this way, and 250 or 325 did not seem to matter too much in the final product. In fact, my wife says the best ribs I ever did were in my old charbroil, dome temp didn't even work, had no maverick, and did not foil....just the old fashion way, just by instinct..................perhaps the best way...........................d

The flare-up usually occurs because you need to keep the vents open to provide enough air to feed the snake. The wood ignites because there is enough oxygen to support the flame. You can try closing more of the vents and see if you can maintain your desired temp or use the foil and firebrick dam method. If it's only one rack of ribs I'd try the dam method. If you are going to sprits, you will have the lid off every hour or so and can add more fuel and turn the rack around. The dam method should give you at least a couple of hours without adding fuel. I run my bottom vent open about 1/4 of the way. No flare-ups ever. Restrict your top vent to 50% open and see how that works. I often run with the top vent 1/4 open as well.

My problem was when I closed the vents down low, Id kill my temperature. I think my issue was that I put a full water pan in there to prevent the ABT's from drying out. Seemed to work, but I suspect it gobbled A LOT of heat up (I preheated the water so it was near boiling when I put it in).

In the end, I have no real way of measuring the temperature in real time besides the dome, so I'm just going to put them on till they are tender and pass the bend test.

EDIT***

Put the ribs on around 4 (a little late, whoops!). Grill has held steady at 230-250 since then. Looks like my dome temp. is around 25 degrees higher than my grate, which is less than I thought. I have a cheapo oven thermometer on the grate for now.

Ribs have foil around the edges where they get a bit close to the heat, I really should have cut them in half, oh well. Every 45 minutes they get a spray of 1 cup apple juice, half cup apple cider vinegar, a dash of Worcestershire sauce and Dales Seasoning. The rub/apple cider mix failed miserably, my spray bottles are not good with that stuff.

Last edited:

Back