How to lower temperature on a Weber Genesis Silver C

CJolly

We have had a Weber Silver C grill since 2003. I replaced the grid that came with it with a cast iron grate, and I like the way it cooks. The grate helps the meat stay at more of a constant temperature. I have started to use it as a smoker by soaking wood chips in the disposable aluminum foil grill drip pans (2) and putting them between the flavorizer bars and the grate. I smoke simple stuff like chicken hind quarters and ribs and again, we like the results.
Last year, I grilled a prime rib roast, and it came out great. I used only the back burner turned on low. Using my wireless thermometer, I checked the temperature of the grill, and it hovered around 250 degrees. (If anyone wants, I would be happy to share my grill log.)
My question is how can I turn the temperature down even more. I would like to use the grill as an oven and bake stuff like stuffed peppers, meat loaf, and other meals. I think the best way would turn on the burners on the front and back and to put the meat loaf in the middle. I did a dry run by putting the front and back burners on the lowest setting and with my wireless temperature probes on the front and back. The temperature ran about 425 degrees front and back. I would like to be able to go as low as 200 degrees. The only thing I can think of is to turn down the valve at the tank. Any thoughts?
Thanks

A couple tips. First for the type of cooking you are describing, take advantage of the natural flow of heated air through this grill. When using only one burner, use the front and move your food to the rear of the grill. This gets the most efficient use of the heated air produced and takes advantage of any smoke you might produce. The natural air flow of the grill is up from the bottom and out through the vent where the lid meets the back of the cook box.
Short of trying to use some sort of heat deflector I don't think you will be able to do much more to go lower. Avoid any advice you might get about trying to restrict gas flow or anything like that. The burner(s) need a minimum flow of fuel to stay lit reliably. And also realize the thermometer built into the lid is not a truly accurate indicator of internal temp. It's only meant as an "indicator"

+1 to what Larry wrote, and try propping open the lid at each corner. Crumple up a ball of foil.start with an inch and adjust as needed.

Also, make sure your slide out grease tray is clean, mounted properly and not restricting air flow.

That series of Weber gas grills are the hottest. Small firebox and big burner tubes.

My Genesis 1000 seems to hover around 225 with the front burner on low. You could maybe prop the lid open a touch, but that will ruin you convection flow.

Back