how to light charcoal for the grill

I'm not sure if i'm doing it wrong or not. I'm new to charcoal grilling.

So i light my Weber Chimney about half full with charcoal. Once i get the flames shooting out after about 15 minutes i am pouring the charcoal either on the side or in the middle of the kettle. At this point i put the lid on the kettle and let it heat up and go get my food.

I never see that real hot fire. Should i leave the lid off for another 5 minutes after i pour the coals to get it really going? Do you wait till the charcoal gets completely gray before cooking? I never do this as i only wait till it a mix of gray. I think i'm not giving it enough time to heat up.

I noticed others with pictures and they have flames and a nice golden center. Am i using too little charcoal?

Hmm, good question and I have noticed that myself. However, I use my kettle for predominantly reverse searing or low/slow and most cooking is done indirect, then moved over the (by then very hot) coals. I am interested in the answer too.

Mike, this question kinda depends on what type of cooking you want to do, and the size of your grill. If you want to cook at high heat directly under your product then let your coals get really hot. You can test by holding your hand OVER the coals. The shorter the time you can keep your hand there the hotter the coals.
If on the other hand you want to cook indirect, with the heat not directly under the meat, then you will most likely use less coals and have at least 2 heat zones.

Let us know your size cooker and cooking plan and we can be of more help.

Mark

If you want a hot sear use a whole chimney and let it get all lit ,pour in kettle, sear without the lid or with the lid propped open a little .

I almost always was a full chimney, it seems like I have charcoal left over most cooks, but heat isn't an issue, try leaving the lid cracked open a little while you get your food around to grill, I do that sometimes and it will really get going then.

3/4 to a full chimney. I like using one Weber firestarter cube (24 pack for $3.50 at OSH near me) to get the chimney going. In about 15 to 20 minutes the top coals should be starting to get gray. Bank the coals to one side of the grill just to make that zone even hotter. Put the grill grate back in place and don't cover the grill just yet. Let the coals come up to full burn. I also do what Steve says - I may put the lid back on but not fully - leave it cracked a bit. That give it plenty of oxygen and also concentrates the heat in the grill.

There was a great thread on here maybe 9 months ago where someone was facing all the same questions, so spent some time with a thermometer, spreadsheet and varying amounts of charcoal. I learned a lot from it, including the (obvious in hindsight but not before, at least not to me) "use a lot of charcoal if you want really hot" ;)

For standard grilling where I bank my briquettes against one side of the kettle I usually dump a full chimney as soon as it becomes smoke free and I see flames shooting out the top. I'll usually put the lid on and let all the coals 'equalize' or get into the groove while I finish preparing the meat.

Back