How to kick up smoked ham steaks?

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I just have to take this coming week off and go to south Texas for a little fishing
icon_biggrin.gif
. Usually I take along some jerky, which I'll start on tonight, but I also want to smoke some ham steaks. A friend will most likely bring some too, so there will naturally be a comparision of the 2...hint, hint. I want to make mine stand out. Any suggestions? I'll be using cooked ham; I can cut it to any thickness. Being cooked, there's already some salt in the meat, but what about a light dusting of other seasonings? I'll probably go with cherry and or apple wood.

You certainly can dust with a rub. You can also glaze. You can do a couple or three steaks, each differently, if you'd like.

Cut on the quite-thick side (so as to minimize the potential for drying). For service, slice as you would a brisket but a little more thinly. That allows rub (and glaze, if using) in each bite.

Hmm. Perhaps a 3-peppercorn (well-ground)/dry mustard/coriander rub with a maple/brown sugar glaze; a ginger/onion/garlic/allspice/white pepper rub with a mango/lime/honey glaze; a chili powder rub with a chile/coffee/cocoa/sugar glaze...? (I'm thinking these up as I type. Numerous possibilities though.)

Proportion spices to each other well, grind finely, then portion well, simply lightly dusting all sides. Adding just a touch of sugar (finely grind it with the spices) will help the rub set--though it's not vital.

If you go with glazes, make your reductions quite syrupy--but just to the point that they are still just paintable with a pastry brush. That way you can paint on a very thin veneer and it will set fairly quickly (just paint the tops). If desired, you can paint on another over it. The point, here, is to add flavor and shine but still remain fairly transparent (so that the ham can be seen, its texture basically unaltered) and still remain as a flavor interest (not something gloppy that covers the ham and rub flavors).

Back