How to get my SPX-435 Temp low enough to cook at 225 degrees to cook a Tomahawk

RNasch

HI , I was trying to cook a Tomahawk on my New SPX 435 , All the references I read on doing a Tomahawk suggested 225 for around 45-55 min with an internal meat Temp of 125. (2.5 lb Tomahawk)
I started with both outside ( 2 of 4 ) burners set on low , the grill temp was around 280 , I then turned one burner off and this got the grill to around 255, but an hour later the meat temp was only around 89
Ultimately I turned the the second burner back on to low and that helped a little but finally took the two burners to about med. ( 350 ) and then after 1 .5 hrs total the meat temp finally reached 125

Can any one tell me what I was doing wrong from the beginning ? Can my SPX 435 get as low as 225 ? Was I cooking the Tomahawk correctly on my SPX-435
( Four Burner )

Well, I assume you were basing your ambient temps by the reading on your lid thermometer. That is located no where near your Tomohawk. The lid thermometers are subject to inaccuracy as well.

If you want to do controlled cooks such what you describe above, I suggest that use a decent remote thermometer for both the ambient temp at or next to the meat as well as one probe to measure the internal meat temperature. Otherwise, you have to keep opening the lid to check the meat temp and that will delay the cooking.

Thanks for the feed back The SPX -435 , is what weber calls a smart grill , it has grill placed temp sensor , ( not a lid placed one ) , it also includes a meat season into its smart panel with temp probe for the meat . besides that I used a Thermoworks hand held Meat Thermometer to check internal meat temp .
Opened the lid very quickly only once for the first hour

Get yourself a Chef IQ thermometer. They give very accurate ambient temps and very accurate internals.

My preference is a Thermoworks Smoke.

Add a couple of smoke tubes. That's a gas grills best chance for low and slow.

It works OK, but I just sort of dislike it. Range is not that great, and I hate needing to carry a receiver. So someone make a reasonable offer. After using the Temp Spikes and the Chef IQ (and actually I don't even much use the Temp Spikes either

Larry, I am in the same boat as you. Since I got the Temp Spike a couple years ago, I think I have used my smoke maybe one time.

Back