How to fix this rust on 2005 Summit Silver A

Tom Russo

Hi everyone, today I was noticed some rust on the back of my firebox...it is right below the grate level in the back.I I decided to grind it away, prime and then paint it Rustoleum. Of course the result was that it rusted all the way trough in three places. Is there a way to patch this at all and will it make that nigh of a difference? Maybe pop-rivet in a piece of sheet metal? I’ve had this grill for 15 years and would like to keep it a bit longer.

thanks - Tom

Attachments

• C209AA3F-C318-417D-B6DE-3588CAE703A2.jpeg
    C209AA3F-C318-417D-B6DE-3588CAE703A2.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 35
  • B78FCAD5-EB9A-4BCD-AFC6-F17B02E8607B.jpeg
    B78FCAD5-EB9A-4BCD-AFC6-F17B02E8607B.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 35
Wow, what a drag. Why in the world Weber used this design escapes me.

First, have you tried reaching out to Weber? Sounds like you are the original owner. Might have a slim chance of a warranty replacement. I know they don’t support the first generation Summits, but I have heard they still do the second like yours. Even if you have to pay you might negotiate a better price than a decent repair will cost you.

Not sure about your pop rivet idea. The thing is that your old metal is likely to keep on rusting through. The dream repair, of course, is to have a complete stainless steel replacement part fabricated. Probably very, very expensive though.

I would attempt to see if Weber will actually support it. Seems they have a bad habit of giving you a warranty and then not making the parts to support said warranty (what happened to me). I think they're still supporting to some extent the 2nd gen Summit though

I would contact Weber as well if you are the original owner. I know of people who got their fireboxes replaced.

Back