How to cook these BB Ribs?

Dave Vaughan

TVWBB Member
So I usually do spare ribs but wanted to try baby backs. I purchased 4 slabs of baby backs but they seem very small. About 1 lb per rack. My bullet really likes 250 at the dome, but I will plan to use less charcoal and try to get that lower. My spares always seems to cook faster than what i read, so I'm thinking these baby backs will be done in like 3 hours. Would a 1-1-1 method make sense? I would like to foil them.

Also 250 at dome means roughly 235 at the grate right?

Thanks everyone!!
Dave

Seems like one hour in the smoke is a bit light to me.

I would consider smoking them 1 1/2 hours and foiling them only 1/2 to 3/4 hours. That will let you watch them when they are unwrapped back on the grill until there is 1/2" of bone showing, however long that takes.

They won't be "fall off the bone" this way, but will be more like competition tender.

Yes, 250 is roughly 235 give or take a few. I do backs ar ~325 grate--you don't have to do them low unless that's your preference.

I'm with Jim on the shorter foil time. I prefer to make the bulk of the cook unfoiled, foil till done (about 30-40 min) then unfoil and return for maybe 5 min. If you like a longer time cooking post-foiling then I'd go longer unfoiled, shorter foiled, finish unfoiled till done (however long that takes--test them), as Jim notes.

I use a terra cotta flower pot base inside the stock pan instead of water and my cooker runs about 20-25 degrees hotter at the top grate than at the lid.

I agree with the above comments to go at least a couple of hours in the smoke before you foil them.

thanks everyone...they're on now. it's all good.
icon_smile.gif

Back