how to cook packer cut vs flat brisket?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello All,

I am having a party this Saturday for the Rhythm & Booms Fireworks with the following menu:

13# packer cut brisket
7# pork butt
6# pork butt
5 qt bbq beans

They will all be cooked in the WSM starting Friday night at approx 8:00 PM. The pork butts and the brisket will be the first to hit the cooker and I will keep a temperature on the brisket which will be underneath the butts. The beans need about 6 hours so I will put them on Saturday at noon.

My question is concerning the "packer-cut" brisket. I have had decent success with 4 previous cooks using half briskets from Sam's. How should I treat the two cuts differently?

I plan on eating between 6-7 PM on Saturday and I can probably hold both the brisket and the butts for at least 6 hours in a blanket filled cooler. (that is nearly 15 pounds of rendered hot meat that should hold temp for a long time)

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Troy

Cooking a whole or packer brisket along with butts is a better choice than a flat-only (what I believe you are referring to as a "half") as their cooking times are similar. The whole brisket benefits from having the fattier point still attached where the flat is thinnest and most likely to overcook and dry out. Gauge your brisket's doneness by measuring the flat until it reaches your target temperature (or other criteria for doneness). The point can even be separated at that juncture, and returned to the smoker to cook to an even higher final temperature for a quite delicious shredded beef result.

You have a pretty big heat sink in the meat, 26 lbs, with one going 13. You could well have a 20 hr cook, but looks like your start time is realistic. I might choose to start at 7:00 p.m. My guess is your brisket will finish before the butts so use the foil and broth trick to hold to prevent the brisket from drying out, which they can. Recognize the difference in finishing time between the point and flat because of the thickness.

Sounds like a fabulous meal is on the way. Don't forget, the cook is supposed to have the most fun.

Good luck.

Paul

Put the butts on top, and the brisket on the bottom grate so they can baste it for you, and you'll have no trouble at all.

The size of the brisket and butts are about the same I normally cook. I find I get the brisket done on average in about 16 hours and the butts in about 12. You are correct about being able to holding them for 4 to 6 hours. The extra time you have given yourself will allow for that piece of meat that just doesn't want to give up the fight.
Have a great 4th.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back