How to cook? chuck roast

Brian Hoffman

I am going to be smoking a marinated chuck roast this weekend. I have apple wood and sugar maple. Was curious for opinions on which wood to use.

Also, how long do you think it will take to smoke assuming a 5lb roast and 220-250 degree temps?

Sugar Maple sounds good to me. What finishing temp do you want for the meat. Time to cook depends on whether you want rare or well done,(NO SAY IT AIN'T SO)

Mark

Would depend on what I was gona do with it for tocos I might use a stronger wood but most likely with your wood choices any or a combo a do IMHO.

Finishing temp would be rare to med rare...not sure what temp that would be.

This will be sliced into pieces and eaten right off the grill.

Brian, So I would guess about 140 or so and I would also estimate 2-3 hrs depending on variables, one being starting temp of meat. If its done early you can hold, better done a bit early rather than late.
I have lots of cooking experience but have not smoked a beef roast on the WSM yet. So my opinion may be flawed.

Mark

Chuck roasts IMO are better suited to pulling after smoking rather than slicing. Just did 4 three pounders yesterday on R4D4. Put them on at 6 AM (225º temp) and then wrapped about 6 hours later in foil (added some beef stock to foil). After 3 more hours in the foil they were fork tender (insert fork and twist to see if pullable). Don't worry about temp, but mine were about 210º. Makes great sammies.

Dan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan N.:
Chuck roasts IMO are better suited to pulling after smoking rather than slicing. Just did 4 three pounders yesterday on R4D4. Put them on at 6 AM (225º temp) and then wrapped about 6 hours later in foil (added some beef stock to foil). After 3 more hours in the foil they were fork tender (insert fork and twist to see if pullable). Don't worry about temp, but mine were about 210º. Makes great sammies.

Dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I'd encourage anyone to try it both ways, but I also prefer my chuck roasts taken to 200+ for pulling. I don't think I could pick between it and brisket.

For slicing med rare I like something closer to a rump roast pulled off at 130-135. I'd also head out and pick up some hickory, mesquite, or pecan.

Back