How to clean a gunked-up grill brush.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
In this case it's a Weber metal triangular SS brush. Normally I just soak any brush over-nite in some De-greaser and rinse it clean the next AM.
Today was an off day for me, and after getting a chimney of lump going on the OTG to pre-heat the grate for cleaning I noticed the grill brush looked like a log of tar. I figured why not and set the brush directly on the grate over the coals. Within a min the gunk started to bubble up and I just gave it a few light whacks onto the grate and most of the gunk fell off. Flipped it a few times and repeated and it came out just like new.
Now obviously you wouldn't want to try this with a wood or plastic handled brush or a brass one cause that could melt. And don't forget you're PPE.;) Safety glasses and a long cuffed grill glove.

Tim

I have the same brush, and and stick it into the Weber chimney starter from time to time. Works great, and it does not seem to damage the brush. I just hit the brush against something solid, as the grate afterwards. The carbonized grease falls off without any problems.

Shouldn't have to worry about the brass on brushes. The upper end Jenn Aire (Nexgrill) come with brass burners. I'd still steer clear of doing this with the plastic and wood handled brushes.

Shouldn't have to worry about the brass on brushes. The upper end Jenn Aire (Nexgrill) come with brass burners. I'd still steer clear of doing this with the plastic and wood handled brushes.

My first Weber triangular metal handle grill brush was brass. I used that only for the WSM, cause the temps were lower and the gunked upped grease wasn't that bad. Tried it on the OTG grate over lump with a hot fire and the bristles would start to distort and roll over. In other words I roached it using it over a hot fire. Bought a SS one and no problems.:wsm:

Tim

Back