How to BBQ chicken breasts in marinade along with Pork butt --

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hello, I have a bunch of bne-in chicken breasts that have been marinated in a white giner vinegar based BBQ sauce and a boneless pork butt that I want to use a mop on. Can I cook them at the same time? Which meat should go on top? Or should I cook them seperately?

I'm very new at this.

Nancy

Howdy Nancy, Yes you can cook them at the same time. But the chicken will get done long before the butt. When cooking chicken along with another meat it goes on the bottom grate because you don't want the juice dripping down on to the other meat. So if you put the chicken on the bottom and the butt on top you'll have to remove the butt to get to the chicken when it gets done. Not a big deal if you have a good set of leather gloves. Just lift the top grate with the butt on it off as one. Then remove the chicken and return the butt. If you have a set of welding gloves it makes this task very easy. Available at Home Depot, Lowe's or a hardware store.
icon_wink.gif

Nancy

When you cook them under the butt, you'll be doing a low/slow cook which will not result in crisp skin, but otherwise, imo, a great tasting product. The best way to judge their doneness and not overcook them which will cause them to dry out, is to use an instant digital therm and check for 160 in the center of the breast.

I usually do halves, but my son likes the bone in breast and they come out great. I would go fairly light on smokewood, maybe 3 chunks, because they will take up a lot of smoke flavor. You could add another chunk or 2 when you pull them if you want more smoke on the butt.

Have a great cook.

Paul

Thanks so much for the information! When they're done being smoked, can I then freeze them and then reheat them on the grill? I have a Foodsaver that really keeps food well and I like to have lots of prepared ahead and ready to go for shut-ins and last minute company. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Nancy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nancy T.:
Thanks so much for the information! When they're done being smoked, can I then freeze them and then reheat them on the grill? I have a Foodsaver that really keeps food well and I like to have lots of prepared ahead and ready to go for shut-ins and last minute company. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Nancy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes you can foodsaver them. Just pull them out of the freezer and drop the bag right into boiling water. Of course the skin won't be any good but the chicken will be great.
icon_smile.gif

Back