How to avoid over-smoking

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just got a brand new WSM and ET-73 and will be experimenting on my friends this weekend by cooking some brisket and spare ribs. I plan to follow the recommendations given on this site pretty closely. My question goes to the fact that I have one friend who got a WSM a few years ago and found that he ruined a lot of meat by oversmoking. I don't know how he used his WSM. Will I avoid oversmoking by following the recommendations on this site?

Mick,

When I first started out, I was surprised at how little wood chucks were needed for a cook. You will be given great guidance on the home page, if you follow it, you will create perfection.
Welcome to the site!

Start with a single chunk of wood if you are using hickory or oak, you can use a couple of chunks if fruitwoods. A chunk is a piece aprox the size of your fist.
After this first cook you can decide if you want more wood, if so add one more piece. Continue this process until you find the smoke flavor strenght you and your family enjoy.
If it is too strong then cut back.
A little goes a long ways and the piece of meat will also be part of the equation. Chicken needs very little wood but pork butt or brisket can handle more very easily.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back