How much?

I just did a spread for 60 and cooked 4 but I had lots of substantial appetizers, smoked chicken (as an additional main), and almost a dozen sides. Without all that I'd have done 6.

Just found this from Stogie:

"Here is the formula....

50% yield from the butt, so 15 lbs raw weight will get you 7.5 lbs. of cooked meat. Plan on 1/4 lb. sammiches so you get 30 sammiches from that 7.5 lbs. Of course you can plan on 1/3 lb. sammiches but sounds like you got lots of sides."

Looks like I'm going to do (6) 7-1/2 to 8 lb. butts to be on the safe side.

MikeZ

I did mine a day early, rested it, pulled it, and chilled it quickly. I reheated 3/4 of it for serving and left the rest in the fridge ready to stick in the oven if it looked like I was going to need it. With all the other food I didn't. If it looks like your other food quantity will increase you could do something similar. If you don't use it it can be frozen later.

Thanks for the info! That's my plan!

I'll pull it all and put it in 2 gal. zip-lok bags then put it all in a cooler for the trip from Virginia to Pennsylvania.

We'll set up a few crock pots for serving.

I also plan on making a few different BBQ sauces from this site plus my "old reliable" Sweet Baby Ray's

It's all for my Mom's 80th birthday party!

MikeZ

Back