How much to get?

• Thread starter Thread starter Barry
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

I am having a party next weekend and expect approx. 44 poeple. I am planning to smoke pork spares (in addition to having grilling hamburgers and hot dogs) and would appreciate advise on how many slab to get. I am figuring about 10. Does this sound about right, given that I am serving other food?

With 2 weber rib racks, should I have any problem fitting them into the smoker?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say 12 would be good. Who's going to want a hot dog when you're smoking up some great ribs? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you cut them all into individual ribs you might get more out of them than serving 1/2 racks. I don't think people will take as many.

Rob

Barry....

I usually apportion about 3-4 people per slab when other food is served. Now, be careful with how you count the kids! Depending on age, they may not eat any ribs. If you are cooking the dogs and burgers just for the kids, then you better make 1 slab of spares per couple.

Here is how I recently used my rib rack. It can fit about 11 slabs total. Rolling may squeeze in a few more, but I like the rib rack a little better...

rib_rack_in_WSM.jpg

For a more complete discussion on using the rack in this way, head over to my BBQ page at the following addy....
Using a rib rack

Is there any problem with the ribs touching each other?? I always thought that there should be space in-between the ribs for smoke.

or doesn't that make a difference?

They're only touching at various points, mostly on the ends. Rearranging and turning during the cook will even things out.

Thanks for the input all.

Kevin, you are correct. I forgot about the kids and yes, there will be some that will not eat ribs and the hot dogs and hamburgers are for all. All kids are under 9, so I figure I should count 2-3 of them as I adult. Would you agree?

Also, do you know of any other place besides Lowes that might sell the rack? I don't have a Lowes by me and with a week to go I would be concerned about having it shipped in time.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back