How much meat and variety can WSM handle?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Is the WSM like the brinkman in terms of capacity (i only use the brinkman as reference b/c i know what it looks like on the inside). In other words, two 15 inch racks, one above the water pan and one higher.

How much meat can you smoke at one time? I just tried a whole chicken (5 lbs) sitting on a beer can (maybe i should have layed it down). Then put ribs on the lower rack above the water pan and was pretty full.

what is the most meat you put on the WSM and what varieties? I have never used the wsm but presume it has similar capacity to the brinkman

Top grate is 18.5", lower grate is 18". Some of us use hardware to add a third grate also.
I have had 40+ pounds of pork in it before. Over 20# turkeys can fit on the top grate.
Check this link out for some info:
cooking capacity

I wouldn't lay the chicken on it's side when using a beer can. It seems all the liquid would run out instead of steaming inside the chicken. They make racks if you are worried about them falling over.

Dave, Have done 50lbs of pork butt using a modified Williams-Sonoma rib rack. Could have done close to 60 if I had pushed.

As Bob T says you can get 40+ lbs of pork or 2 full briskets and 4 (3 1/2 and down) Rib racks in at the same time, (a bit of a squeeze) but it all went in and cooked ok.

This is in a wsm without modification.

Look at rib racks if you want to cook more and stand your racks of ribs, on their sides so you can fit more in. I have done a brisket 2 racks of ribs and 3 beer can chickens at the same time, again a squeeze but not excessive.

PS when you have done this a couple of times and it begins to iritate you... you know it is time to go out and get another one,
icon_wink.gif
when you find you are filling that one as well... it is time to get your third etc.

Chris, funny you should say that. I've been thinking about getting one for my daughter for Christmas. I keep saying if I buy it maybe I'll just keep it and get her something else
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PS when you have done this a couple of times and it begins to iritate you... you know it is time to go out and get another one, Wink when you find you are filling that one as well... it is time to get your third etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds to me like it is time to make yourself a magnum.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I can smoke 4 butts and a brisket on 2 racks. I still have 3 empty. I added a couple more than the original plans.
icon_wink.gif

Back