How much Kingsford/Beer Can Chicken

George Roth

TVWBB Member
I am getting ready to do two 4# plus chickens using a beer chicken recipe. I will be using a full pan of cold water. This will be my first beer can attempt on the WSM. Can anyone recommend how many chimneys of Kingsford I should use?

Thanks.

Hi,
I would consider brining, even for a couple of hours and I would use an empty pan covered with foil.
Also if you want crisp skin a temp of 350° will do the trick.

Al

I wanted a slow cook and I am pumping along at 250 degrees right now. My internal temp has gone up to 118 in 45 minutes. I used BRITU with a teaspoon and a clove of garlic in each can.

I do mine at 350 without the water pan and use an aluminum pie pan as a drip tray, perfect every time. Skin nice and crispy too. Charcoal pan a little over half full and fully lit. I am curious how the skin turns out at a lower temp cook. Let us know.

Here is the full report. It even contains some trapshooting.

I used BRITU with some olive oil on the outside of the chickens and sprinkled it inside the bird per the regular beer can recipe found on this website. I used two of the WalMart holders with the ring at the base. Both chickens fit on the top grate. I filled the water pan with the left over beer and a little water. I soaked four chunks of apple wood in the beer while I prepared the fire and put the rub on the chickens. I started with 1 chimney fully lit and filled the pan to about an inch of the top. My temp got up to 250 right away and stayed that way for about 2 1/2 hours. I then wanted to go shoot trap at the local club for awhile. My chicken temp on the probe was about 140 at that time. I added about a third of a chimney of slightly used unlit charcoal from my last smoke on top of what was left from my start-up chimney full. I came back to check about one and one-half hours later and my probe temp was up to 150 and my top vent temp was still 250. I added a couple of unlit handfuls of the used charcoal and closed the bottom vents hoping it would keep running at that temperature so I could go back and shoot some more. I didn't want it to get done too far ahead of the baskeball games.

When I returned the second time the cooker was down to 200 and the probe was at 160. I opened up the door and added a little more charcoal but I didn't have much lit charcoal in the smoker left so I fired up a half-chimney and put that in. My temp went up to 350 right away and in a half-hour or so my probe was right at 180. Altogether the chicken was in the smoker for 7 1/4 hours. It worked out very well because when I got back I had time to watch the temps, smell the wonderful aromas, and drink two bottles of Leinenkugels before my meal. The chicken turned out great!

Back