How much is to much smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey friends, doing my first smoke on my WSM of teo butterflied chickens. They have been on about 45 minutes now and I stil have smoke coming out of the top vent(really heavy). My question is how much is to much smoke? I put 4 vienna sausage can sized hickory chunks on the fire. Is that to much? Alsoa little smoke is coming from around my lid where it meets the center piece.Is that common? This is my second middle section, the first was dented on arrival and Weber sent me on out in a jiffy. Could this one be warped? Thanks for the comment's /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Most people would tell you less is more when it comes to doing poultry on the WSM. Some even don't use any smoke woods at all. I like nut woods lke pecan because they are milder. Others might tell you to put the smoke wood on when you're lighting the charcoal and let it burn down a bit before putting the meat on to lessen the amount of smoke but still apply the desired flavor.

Depending on the breeze, I normally see some small wisps of smoke from the door and under the lid, and they do not concern me.

A little smoke around the edge of the lid is common. When you get a build up of soot and grease, it will create a better seal and the smoke leaks should dimish. Mine still leaks smoke from around the lid and door occasionally.

As for the "how much is too much" that is a matter of your taste. If its bitter tasting to you or your family, its too much. Unfortunately, with poultry a little smoke goes along way. I use no more than one or two fist sized chunks of smoking wood when I cook chicken or turkey, although others use more. Keep a bbq log and note how it tastes. Next time you can adjust accordingly. My very first cook was butterflied chickens and I used too much smoke wood. However, I was able to tone down the bitter taste by removing the skin which no one but me eats anyway.

Unless you like a stronger smoke flavor, I suspect that much hickory might be a little strong. If you can remove a couple of the chunks with tongs through the door, I would do it. The escaping smoke you describe seems normal to me.

If you eat the chicken after you let it rest a little, maybe the smoke won't be too strong. If you leave some of it in the frig for a few days, you'll taste a stronger smoke flavor.

PRG

If your toung gets numb when you eat your chicken you have to much smoke. Im not kidding... It can happen. Try a couple pieces of apple next time.

I agree that less is better.
I used a couple of chunks of hickory when smoking a few salmon fillets very low, 180'. Forgive me my Puget Sound Brethren but I did'nt have alder.
Anyway, it could have used a bit more.
Next Time.
Smoke and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back