how much chicken

Rick Moore

TVWBB Super Fan
Seems odd to me...that this question comes up during the very month that capacity of the WSM is the front page topic! Anyway, I did some searching and didn't find any threads that looked like they had my answers...although I know I have seen similar ones before.

I am going to be cooking approx 20 pieces of chicken on Thursday for work - probably more breasts than thighs, but I'm hoping I can convince the powers that be that some dark meat is a good idea! So with the standard 2 grates, is this too much chicken? I think if I add the third grate according to the mods shown in the front page discussion, that I would have enough capacity - just trying to determine if I have to do that mod before Thursday's cook!

Thanks in advance for the help!

I think you wont have a problem with 20 pcs of chicken being able to fit. Having them to stay moist might be more of a problem, not that you cant do it, but you have to watch meat temps often during your cook. I love my WSM but the kettle is where I prefer to cook chicken. Brine the pieces and you will have an easier time keeping the chicken from drying out.

I put at least 20 pieces,legs and thighs, on the top grate yesterday. I didn't bother to count! Breasts would have taken up more room.

Wow Joel - you got that much on just the top rack? Awesome! I won't have any problems at all.

Dale - I prefer the kettle as well - but I know I can't cook that much chicken on the kettle at one time. I am planning on a brine so hopefully moisture won't be a problem.

As for the cook - I haven't cooked without sand or water yet. Should I expect higher temps on the bottom grate? I would think so without the heat sink in place. I plan on using a foil lined water pan. And if I can expect higher temps on the lower grate, I plan on putting any dark meat on the bottom grate and white meat on the top grate - I'll be taking the white meat off earlier so this would seem to work fine - unless the bottom grate is so much hotter the dark meat finished first - which I would not expect it to be that much hotter.

This will be my first cook with one of my 3 sample bags of smoke pellets! Can't wait to try them out! I'm saving the hickory for some butts...what would be the choice between apple and Jack Daniels? I've heard good things about the JD...maybe they'll be the ones!

Hello Rick, and welcome to the coolest BB on the net. I have done the JD smoking chips with chicken with great success. Good luck!!!

Big Al

It was full, and keep in mind it was just legs and thighs! I'm sure there were at least a dozen legs and 8 thighs.

Back