How much charcoal, (briquettes), for a short cook?

Rick P

TVWBB Pro
I thawed out a brisket point, to make burnt ends.
The plan is to fire up the WSM 18, (using the Minion method), bring up to ~ 275 cook the sauced ends in a covered foil pan for an hour, then finish them off uncovered for around 35-45 minutes or so. Bottom line is that it's going to be a short cook, well under 3 hours. I've only ever packed the charcoal ring but it seems like I don't need to for such a short cook. I don't use the water pan. The outside temp today will be in the mid-40's with a very light breeze.
Do you think a 1/2 filled charcoal ring will work and does having less charcoal really affect the temp that much, (I don't think that it does).

Thanks!

The total amount of charcoal won't affect the temp as much as the amount of LIT charcoal you are using to start does.
What kind of charcoal are you using?
Thanks.
I'll be using Stubbs briquettes. I usually pack the charcoal ring and blast it in the middle with a propane torch to get it lit. My guestimate is that about 15, or so, briquettes end up being lit after hitting it with the torch.

Since I'm just heating, (not smoking....the point was frozen from an earlier cook), maybe I should use less charcoal, and light more of it? I've gotten good at dialing in the temps for low n slow, on longer cooks, but have never used the WSM of a short cook.

Thanks.
I'll be using Stubbs briquettes. I usually pack the charcoal ring and blast it in the middle with a propane torch to get it lit. My guestimate is that about 15, or so, briquettes end up being lit after hitting it with the torch.

Since I'm just heating, (not smoking....the point was frozen from an earlier cook), maybe I should use less charcoal, and light more of it? I've gotten good at dialing in the temps for low n slow, on longer cooks, but have never used the WSM of a short cook.
I would guess for something like three hours at roughly 275 one full chimney ought to do it no problem.

I would guess for something like three hours at roughly 275 one full chimney ought to do it no problem.
Agreed.
After reading these posts, I uncovered the WSM to get it ready, and found that I have plenty of unburned charcoal leftover from a previous cook. I'll hit with the torch and let 'er rip!

Thanks everyone!

Back