How Much BBQ Pork?

Tom Murtiashaw

TVWBB Member
As the pulled pork I prepare on the WSM is tasted by more and more people, I am asked more and more to bring my BBQ to small gatherings and parties. Don't mind doing that if I have the time, but the groups I am asked to feed keep getting larger so I wanted some advice from those on this site that may actually cater for large groups. How much BBQ is enough to feed say 10, 20, 30 or even 40 folks? I know the side dishes being served will determine how much of an appetite people have, but say I wanted to be sure everyone has enough for a couple of BBQ sandwiches. If you have a good rule of thumb portion per person amount you can send my way or maybe an "X" number of pounds per 10 people formula, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

For a mixed crowd of men and women of all ages where sides are also served, 1/4 pound per person is a pretty reliable rule of thumb.

If it's a men-only group, figure 1/3 per person.

If it's a group of linebackers (I'll assume they're all men), go with two people per pound.

Ken

Ken is talking about cooked weights I believe.

From what I have read, you should probably figure a 50% weight loss with bone-in butts. Someone with some catering experience please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes Ken is talking about cooked weight. That has been the general consensus around here for as long as I have been a member.

I have started catering and have my own BBQ shack open on the weekends. I bought a new scales last weekend and I was weighing stuff just for the heck of it. I decided to see how much pork I have been serving on a sandwich. It was right at 4 ounces. It is pretty hard to get that much pork to stay on a typical hamburger bun.

I have a job Memorial Day weekend for 200 people. I am going to cook 100 pounds of Butts and figure I should have 50 pounds after shredding. 50# and 4 servings a pound comes out to 200 sandwiches.

Back