How many pellets?

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
How many 1/3 cup foil pouches of BBQ Delight pellets should I use for ribs (baby back)?

I've used pellets once (1 foil pouch) ... for a turkey ... and while the amount of smoke seemed light to me, the results were great.

I searched past discussions and discovered that for brisket/butt, it was recommended to use 3 pouches (2 buried/1 on top).

I'm wondering if 1 pouch would be enough or would 2 be better?

Last weekend I did 5 racks of spares and used one chunk of hickory and 2 pouches of sugar maple pellets (one at the beginning & one at the 3 hour mark) and they were great! I guess it depends on the type of wood. If using a milder flavor, I'm sure 2 would be ok.

Where do you guys get your pellets? Been looking at using them since I really don't want to pay the freight for chunks of wood

Chris - Thanks for the reply. I was going to try one of the fruit woods, so it sounds like "2" would be okay. Thanks again.

Paul - I live in a "smoke wood challenged" community. I learned of a company, BBQ Delight, that sells pellets and the reviews from many on this board were very favorable. You can check them out at BBQ Delight

I can't remember my initial order ... I may have ordered two one-pound packages of different woods. When my order arrived and I opened the box, I found not only the items I ordered, but about 10-12 free samples (1/3 cup single smoke size) of all kinds of different woods! I was thrilled.

Absolutely give them a try ... I think it's a great solution for some of us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Where do you guys get your pellets? Been looking at using them since I really don't want to pay the freight for chunks of wood </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,
I saw some pellets at Wallmart the other week. They were the Jack Daniels pellets, which if I remember right, are one of or is their #1 seller. I don't know if all Wallmarts get 'em or not, but worth a shot if you have one near by. I like the JD flavor pellets myself.

I was in walmart the other day and picked up some JD pellets. I was getting low less than a half a bag. I like to order straight from BBQ Delight though. I like getting the free samples they send.

Those JD pellets are good, aren't they. I was going to just get some at the Wally Martz also, but like the samples, and I hope they get more of the profit instead of Wally Martz. The only pellets I have tried and did not like was the Sasafrass (sp??)
I thought it was bitter tasting.

Yea the JD pellets are excellent. I have used them on butts and brisket. Haven't used them on ribs yet.

I haven't tried sassafrass pellets or wood for that matter. I do have a sassafrass log sitting in the driveway I am going to chunk up and try out one of these days.

I did try mesquite pellets once and didn't think it gave any flavor at all. That was just one packet (sample). Actually the first time I used the JD I didn't think it gave much flavor. I am of the opinion you need 2 packets of pellets for the flavor. Maybe that is just me but I use the JD twice on a cook along with some chunks of course.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back