How many butts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Lowery

TVWBB Member
I just got my WSM this week, did some salmon for a first run, it was great. Did a mr brown butt and a brisket yesterday. Both turned out great. My friends just loved both. My cooker ran kinda hot, 262 at the grate, measured with polder in block of wood. I kept all 3 vents closed for the first 5 hours till temp started dropping. I read that sometimes new cookers will run a little hot due to no buildup inside. The butt was so good, that my wife wants me to cook for her sons wedding rehersal dinner. I cooked a 6lb butt, trimmed alot. It looked like I could get 2 per rack. Has anyone ever cooked 4 at a time?

I really like this web site, it was a big influence on the kind of smoker I bought. Looks like a long and delicious relationship has been started!

Ed,

Welcome to the site, you'll find a lot of helpful and friendly people here. At the last contest I did, my partner did 4 butts on the WSM. Seemed to cook in about the normal amount of time, and even got 3rd place out of 15 teams.

Good luck,

Rick

Thanks for info. My plan for the wedding dinner is 4 butts, and 2 briskets. I'll have to cook one or the other the day before and then reheat. Which is the best one reheated?

Thanks, Ed

Ed, I've reheated both with no troubles. I store my extra 'Q in vacuum bags, about a pound per bag. To reheat, place the bags in tepid tap water and slowly bring to a boil. Once the water starts boiling, your 'Q should be heated through. This method of reheating won't dry out the meat.

Ed,

I think the butts would be the better choice to cook the day before. Mix in a little sauce, a little rub and a little apple juice and put it in the oven to reheat for 30 minutes or so. Almost hard to believe, but I think I like pulled pork the second day better than the first, maybe the flavors come together even more overnight in the fridge. Good luck.

Tim

Thanks for all the help. Cooked 4 6lb butts today, stayed in cooker for 15 hours, they are wonderful. Got the briskets in for a midnight cook now. I'm looking foward to serving them both tomorrow!

Thanks again for all the tips, really saves time and money trying to learn.

Ed

Something you might try is instead of cooking one of the meats completely through the day before, cook it to say 170 or so and then finish it wrapped in aluminum foil the next day in your oven. It really works!

Slowsmoke

Thanks to all the help from here, the wedding dinner was a huge success. The mr brown butt and brisket were great. Several guests told me it was the best they have ever eaten. One person just kept coming back for more brisket, had tried it at famous daves bbq and didn't like it at all. Making plans now for the 4th!

Joel, when you take the butts off at 170 and refrigate, about how long does it take to finish them off in the oven later? Might try this method next big cook.

Many thanks, Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back