How many butts in WSM at one time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
I am planning to feed pulled pork to a fairly large group of friends over the fourth. I have four butts, each about 7 lbs.

Can I smoke all four at the same time, or should I smoke two ahead of time, freeze that batch, and then smoke two on site? I have to smoke something on location if only to make them crazy waiting.

If I can do all four at the same time, any special considerations I should take into account for that large of a load? I have never attempted more than two at a time.

Chet

4 at a time works great! Try and position them for some good heat/airflow between them (try not to have them touching).

Enjoy!
-Matt

Chet

I've done exactly that - 4 butts with approx wt. of 7 lbs each. Two on top, two on bottom. I put the slightly larger ones on top with the theory that it would be a little hotter up there. Never rotated, but did spray with AJ. I did an overnight and it did take about 20 hrs. Had to add some fuel, unlit because I still had some going, after about 12 hrs. I used sand in the pan, but water might be easier to control temp.

Bottom line - I would do them at the same time.

Enjoy your cook.

Paul

Chet,
I agree, do them all at the same time. I did 4 8lbers for Memorial Day, they took 20hrs. Added water once, never had to add fuel. I used the Minion Method and loaded the ring to the brim with Kingsford, some hickory chunks, threw on about 12 lit coals, got it to temp, closed the bottom vents about 3/4 closed, top vent open 100%. I did have to stir the coals once, basted with AJ a couple of times. Other than that the WSM did its job perfectly! Good luck!

I've done 4 at a time, no problem.

I did find the two on top reached pulling temps sooner than the bottom ones, as expected. I then removed the top butts and moved the bottom butts up to the top grill for their final hours.

Good luck!

You can use a couple of bamboo skewers to help hold the butts apart when you start cooking. I've done this when cooking some big ones. I have never rotated them from top to bottom rack like I should, but I always try to put the large ones on top.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back