How many butts can I fit on a 26.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you may be the first to max out a 26er with butts. I think you could fit four comfortably and maby two more with an upper rack. Please share the cook with us.
icon_smile.gif

First, I would suggest using your 22” WSM.

Second, I would think you could fit 4 on there. 2 below, and 2 underneath. This would give you a large area on 1 side so you wouldn’t have to reload fuel as much.

This past weekend I filled up my 26er with 80 wings. Indirect at 375° for an hour, but I was not happy. Skin did not crisp up like I wanted. I was running out of time so I had to serve anyways. I haven’t tested the therm yet, so that may have been my issue. I think I needed to start with more coals, but I had a pretty small area for coals to fit the 80 wings on there.

I have a 26er and I think you could get 4 easily, and if you were clever and had some cheap accessories, you could get 6 or more.

To get 4 I would use a single charcoal basket. on one side and then put 4 butts on the grate as far from the charcoal as possible, then align the cover so that the vent is over the meat.

Heat/smoke comes off the coals and travels over the meat out the vent.

To get clever 6 or more, use the space between the charcoal grate and cooking grate [across from charcoal basket]

Same single basket of coals. Wall this in with fire bricks.

Line the rest of the charcoal grate with a double layer of aluminum foil.

Put a foil pan on the foil.

Put fire bricks on their side around the foil pan.

Fill foil pan with a good layer of onion slices. This serves only to keep the butts from sticking to the foil pan. And it smells good.

Puts 2 butts on the onions

Put a smaller grate (18.5 or 22.5) on the fire bricks

Put more butts on the top grate.

You will likely need to rotate these butts around halfway through the cook to ensure that they all cook evenly. The kettle is not going to be at as uniformly even temperature as a WSM.

Thanks guys I don't have that 26 yet just thinking down the road a bit if my 22 WSM should happen to get traded out.
icon_smile.gif

I don't know if I am of any help, but I got 3 5# butts on my performer this summer so I would think you will be fine with 4 on a 26er.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back