How long to do a CR and Brisket together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi all,

So I'm planning out a big cook. My daughter's birthday dinner next weekend. Having about 45 people over.

I'm making an 18 to 20 lb chuck roll and a 15 lb brisket. Given that I'm cooking them together how long should thay take?

If I was cooking each independently I'd give the CR an hour to an hour and a quarter per lb. I'd give the brisket about an hour and a half.

If I cook them together should they come up to temperature at the same rate or should one cook faster than the other?

Thanks.

Rob,
Wow, what a cook! I would suspect it would be a safe bet they could be done pretty close at the same time. Put the CR on top and the brisket on the bottom fat side down. The CR will baste the brisket. Due to the mass of the meat in the WSM, you are looking at close to a 30+ hour cook!!!! 1.25 hrs per lb for the CR = 22.50hrs-25hrs. 1.5hrs per lb for the brisket = 22.50hrs. Those time estimates are if you are cooking them by themselves!! Just make sure you give yourself alot of extra time because the times per lb are "estimates" and then you take the mass into consideration! Please keep us posting and send lots of pictures!!! Good luck buddy, I wish I was doing that cook!!!

Didn't Bryan say that a CR ranges between 1.5 to 2hrs a pound? Might be longer than a 30hr cook...perhaps I am wrong in my recall!?

So does 30 hours cooking and 4 hours resting sound about right?

If necessary I was able to hold my last CR in a cooler for 7 hours before it dropped to 140 so I've got some flexibility if it cooks a little faster than planned.

Plus I could turn on the Guru ramp feature if necessary although I'm a Guru rookie. (Hoping to get a maiden cook in this weekend.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back