How long to cook Brisket

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
I heard that the "rule of thumb" is 1.5 hours/pound. So a 5# flat is about 7.5 hours and a 10 pounder is about 15 hours.

What if you cut the 10 pounder into 2 five pound flats and put one on each of the WSM's racks.

7.5 hours, 15 hours??

I've got too much time to worry about this stuff (grin)

The estimate of hours-per-pound applies to each piece, not to the total amount of meat being cooked. It is also usually talked about more in terms of 1.5 to 2 hours per pound in the case of briskets and butts. Each one will be different according to fat marbling, thickness, and cooking temperature. You have to go by both temp and feel, rather than the clock. I'd be more willing to ride out the time required for a undivided roast than to cut it up into smaller pieces. I think you end up with a better result, and less chance of drying out the smaller portions.

Well, you have 2 5lbers now, so 7.5 hours as a bench mark. Still, trust your probes to tell you when it is done.

Rath *flees from the ATC forum*

Of course, cook temp plays an important part. Some briskets I do at higher temps come in at 55 min/lb or so.

Time/lb estimates are less reliable with smaller cuts because rendering takes time and is more dependent on thickness v. marbling than weight.

Those guidelines are just that, guidelines. The cooktime may vary based on the size of the pieces along with the amount of fat in the meat.

Truth is....the one thing for certain is that with briskets, often no two efforts are the same. There are too many variables to consider. The actual cut of beef, the amount of marble, the outside weather conditions, the fuel, the water....all in all, use the guidelines for guidelines as Scott says. Rely on internal probes, and the fork test for best bet

Back